Electric Cars are coming- no need to drill in Alaska

Could he be any more annoying?

1 Like

Just equip your EV with a propane space heater.

4 Likes

$500 to the charity of your choice says the only transport you will have in 10 years will be a pair of shoes.

Of course, you won’t take that bet because you already know this is going to happen, right?

The non reset elites will have shoes?

It’s about the only thing that will actually work. Electric vehicles won’t be able to charge, so how is anyone going to get around without walking? :rofl:

Or just drive an gas vehicle and you can sit there all day on a tank of gas.

1 Like

https://www.autotrader.ca/editorial/20190201/how-long-can-you-stay-warm-on-a-tank-of-gas/

Let’s use the Ford Explorer from the example above. With the 3.5-litre engine, we know it uses (3.5 x 0.6) = 2.1 litres of fuel per hour at idle. We also know from a quick google search that the Explorer has a 70-litre fuel tank.

Now, simply take the fuel tank size (70 litres, in this case) and divide by your litres-per-hour-at-idle figure (2.1 litres, in this case).

Therefore, 70 litre fuel tank / 2.1 litres per hour at idle = 33 hours.

That’s 33 hours of idling possible on a full tank.

Once you’ve calculated the full-tank idling hours available for your specific vehicle, commit it to memory.

From there, it’s just a matter of adjusting that number based on the amount of fuel in your tank. In our example with the Explorer, 33 hours of idling on a full tank means about 16 hours of idling are possible on a half tank, and that about 8 hours are possible on a quarter tank.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38807463/tesla-model-3-climate-control-cold-weather-test/

You can stay warm in a Tesla longer than an Ford Explorer.

Just saying.

Yes, but when they finally come to dig you out of the snow drift, they can dump a few gallons into the Explorer so you can drive away. Your Tesla is going to have to be towed to a charging station.

1 Like

That’s really stretching for a positive in a situation that should have been avoided before getting in the car in the first place.

That’s really not a stretch. How you recover from a lack of fuel, battery, whatever the source, is very important. There’s a big difference between running to the nearest gas station and getting a few gallons, to having your car towed.

2 Likes

Most cars don’t guzzle gas like an Explorer. I have a Mazda 6. I would die of thirst before my car ran out of gas idling. I’ve certainly put that to the test.

2 Likes

We’re just going to have a difference of opinion then. Putting oneself at risk of running out of fuel is already a stretch situation in my opinion. Just shouldn’t happen, no matter what the vehicle is.

Why? Is there a way to guarantee that you will have sufficient fuel in your car to keep your heater operating for whatever period it may take before you are freed from the unanticipated pile-up in the snow drift that we don’t know about?

If you can think of it right now, it can be thought of before you get on the road.

There might be fundamental differences of opinion between EV enthusiasts and EV critics on exactly how responsible people should be regarding driving.

Proper warm weather gear is more important here. In either case no guarantee that the vehicle will be in working order.

Odds are high that a cold weather stranding is the result of a breakdown. Cold weather journeys should always include cold weather gear sufficient to survive a problem with the vehicle.

Car heater is certainly nice, but depending on it is foolish.

1 Like

That is assuming you didn’t burn out the fuel pump in the Explorer due to running out of gas.

Yes, that can actually happen. Modern fuel pumps rely on gasoline to lubricate them, and running out may cause them to fail. Not a cheap fix either.

What if you did fuel up for your trip, but used up most of your tank/battery as you drove down the freeway? Maybe you even got off the highway when you were half empty and topped off just to be safe … and then ran into the snow drift with 50 other people 200 miles down the road. That’s the thing about accidents, you cannot predict when and where they happen.

I’ve never heard of that. Must be a Ford thing. :wink:

There are people who don’t blindly run into pile ups in inclement weather in remote places and run out of fuel. Not interested in a rhetoric revolving around those that do.

Teslas will keep you warm longer than an Explorer. That’s as far as my bubblewrap is going to stretch.

Yes there are. Most people are lucky in that regard.

Well let’s hope you don’t need to have that tow from the snowbank to the charging station … it’s likely to cost much more than the electricity. :wink: