Education Fix, Guaranteed to Work

100%. Couldn’t agree more.

I had to take a 3 and a half year break to pay for my education, which is a double bacc, so I’m quite a bit older than the rest of my cohort. I’m conflicted between an Mph/M.D or just sticking with medical anthro/epidemiology. I can do either.
Congrats to your son. I’m a fairly ruthless person and don’t have the temperament to deal with patients, so again I’m at a loss as to which path I should take.

My son’s college is now $73K/yr. it’s gone up $10k since he graduated in 2015.

TBS the avg institutional grant is $45k/yr so for many it’s less expensive than a state Uni. Of course, you have to have great grades and other outstanding qualifications to get accepted.

I volunteer helping low SES student get into the top LAC & universities. Many of my students get full COA FA scholarships from these schools.

It’s all about money, the content is the same whether one takes an AP general Chem or Physics (for example) class in high school or takes that same class in college.

No, it’s not.

Are you talking about money or the content?

The content.

In what way? Are you implying that an Ivy league school teaches a different or “secret” version of say say chemistry than is taught anywhere else?

Yes. More in depth and they cover more material than in an AP class.

That is why students who enter college and enroll in the next sequence in a particular subject for which they took the AP, often have to drop the class or fail the class and have to retake the intro course. A waste of the students time, money and harmful to the students GPA.

Anyone who tells you that an AP class is equivalent to the same course taught in college is lying.

First my perspective here is from personal knowledge being that I have worked in the education profession. About being more in depth and covering more material, that is not necessarily true and would depend upon the teacher. Furthermore, AP teachers are required to follow a specified curriculum for the course they are teaching. And as someone who’s area is Chemistry I know for a fact that the basic content is the same no matter where it is taught. Also as the other gentleman who started this thread pointed out most students are going to forget around 90% of whatever they learned in a short amount of time after they are done with the class.

I can guarantee that Intro classes taught at the top schools (or any course) are not the same as an AP class. Maybe at Podunk State, but at the best colleges and universities they are not.

AP teachers teach to the test. College Professors do not.

And students at those schools do not forget what they learned over the summer.

That seems like an opinion with no basis in fact.

From another spource:

“How much do people forget? Research on the forgetting curve (Figure 1) shows that within one hour , people will have forgotten an average of 50 percent of the information you presented. Within 24 hours, they have forgotten an average of 70 percent of new information, and within a week, forgetting claims an average of 90 percent of it. Some people remember more or less, but in general, the situation is appalling”

As someone who worked in education for 20 years I would absolutely agree with this.

The core content of all intro science classes is based upon 30-50 (or even more old) knowledge, and is basically the same no matter what textbook one has. Could you please specify what exactly is the difference in the core content of these intro science classes at Ivy League schools?

There is this thing…it’s called studying. Student who want to remember subject matter use that as one tool to aid in internalizing subject matter. Reviewing material is another method good students will use, to recall all the subject matter presented during a course of study. Some material requires memorization and good students know the importance of that, also.

Here I would tend to agree, but maybe for different reasons. If you are implying that students at the top universities remember more or for longer periods based upon how they are taught I would disagree. The top universities have higher quality students who on average are more capable and motivated academically, hence it would logically follow that they remember more than the average student.

Go to Waterloo U and check out their Curve of Forgetting.

Curve of Forgetting

https://uwaterloo.ca/news/blog/post/curve-forgetting

Here. I just pulled up the first ones when I googled. Chem 101 at a Community College and Chem at Yale.

https://www.glendale.edu/academics/academic-divisions/physical-science-division/chemistry/chemistry-101

http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps/subjects-of-instruction/chemistry/#text

http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps/subjects-of-instruction/chemistry/#coursestext