Does California really need 30 million more people?

As much so as bunnies, mice, and corn borers.

Ah. It wouldn’t be a holiday without someone complaining about traffic.

1 Like

One of the main causes of traffic jams is that everyone tries to take the same route and the lack of foreknowledge of wrecks and shutdowns.

Later generations of Driverless cars will networked. Constantly communicating and the city’s central server hub. The system will direct these cars along different routes to avoid traffic jams. If there is a road shutdown, every car will be rerouted to avoid it.

The first generation of driverless cars won’t be capable of that, though. The infastructure doesn’t exist yet. So traffic jams will be a thing until the city wide networks are eventually in place.

Sounds great. I can’t wait. Although, I guess I have to.

Hmm…I’m certain that somebody somewhere tried that before…

1 Like

People also don’t have a clue about how to change lanes and merge properly.

Nope.

American drivers tend to be overly aggressive.

California doesn’t need any more illegal immigrants. Too many are already here. I can’t understand half of what they say because of their Spanglish inflections.

Right. And in the sixties, we were only 20 years from a flying car in every garage.

In fairness flying cars never really got to actual prototype stage before people realized just how dumb it was.

Driverless cars have already covered millions of miles and the tech is getting better every year. It’s coming. The question is how soon will people trust them?

The kids who are currently teenagers will snap them up. My generation will probably be somewhat split, but leaning towards self driving cars. The generation before us are the ones that manufacturers have to convince.

??? In what contry are drivers not aggressive?

Automation is less than 10 years away from full stage 5 mass adoption.

Driving is too much fun. Other than for the drudgery of commuting, people will be unwilling to give it up. Never mind the cost of adding the technology to the vehicles and (for some systems) the highways. Besides for commuting, individual vehicles are far less efficient than any form of mass transportation for including car pooling. (It always astounds me when I go to Seattle on the red-eye and take a taxi into town during the morning commute, that we zip along in the bus/car pool lane while the other four lanes of the freeway are creeping along filled with single occupant vehicles.)

Promise?

Informed prediction

I’ve heard a lot of informed predictions before …

Oh I agree. I love to drive.

A lot of people only do it because they have to, though. They are the ones who will enjoy self driving cars.

People like us, we are dinosaurs. Much like the fuel that powers our vehicles.

That’s cool. Lots of predictions out there on many different subject matters. Some are right, some aren’t.

And the people who make them only toot about the ones that come true. :wink: