Does Anyone Really Want Their Children "To Grow Up In A Jungle, The Jungle Being A Racial Jungle"? Who says This?

How’s that working out for ya??

Well give him credit on this one because he was right. Democrats built the jungle, lit it on fire and then laughed while it blew up and they are hoping to ride it all the way to a sweep in November giving them essentially one party rule for as far as the eye can see.

1 Like

I’ll take “just stupid voting for a racist” for $2000.00 Alex…

10 points deducted from Slitherine.

The quote is close to something Biden said, but the Facebook post is missing context…

First, he wasn’t speaking broadly about integrating Black and white Americans. He was talking about busing to integrate public schools. The post on the pro-Trump site cites a July 2019 tweet from New York Times reporter Sheryl Gay Stolberg, who said that a University of Southern California law professor had spotted this quote from Biden:

“Unless we do something about this, my children are going to grow up in a jungle, the jungle being a racial jungle with tensions built so high that it is going to explode at some point. We have got to make some move on this.”

Stolberg put that comment in context, tweeting that Biden “warns that unless there is ‘orderly integration’ (he favored housing, not busing), ‘My children are going to grow up in a jungle, the jungle being a racial jungle.’” She linked to a story she wrote with her colleague Astead Herndon titled: "How Joe Biden became the Democrats’ anti-busing crusader.

Then-Sen. Biden was speaking in a 1977 congressional hearing on busing schoolchildren and opposed federally mandated busing. (His “racial jungle” comment is on page 251 of the hearing transcript.)

Addressing Jack Greenberg, director-counsel for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Biden said: “We have a fundamental disagreement, you and I, I suspect, as to what is needed to insure that we do have orderly integration of society. I am not just talking about education but all of society.”

Biden went on to reference a “racial jungle” and then said that "pushing busing in a way in which it goes beyond the constitutional mandates is like throwing a rock through the civil rights window.

K1: What he is warning against is what happened in many many cities across this country back in the late 70s.
They were powder kegs, waiting to erupt. My dads first job as high school administrator was in Gary Indiana. He saw what happened…The white kids were disgruntled that the black kids were being forced into their schools…and the black kids were pissed that they were not accepted. Biden was talking about “forced busing” What he said would happen, did in many cases happen.

Then-Sen. Biden was speaking in a 1977 congressional hearing on busing schoolchildren and opposed federally mandated busing. (His “racial jungle” comment is on page 251 of the hearing transcript.)

Biden went on to reference a “racial jungle” and then said that “pushing busing in a way in which it goes beyond the constitutional mandates is like throwing a rock through the civil rights window. I think it has repercussions that are extensive in terms of the ultimate objective of seeing that we get integrated neighborhoods, of seeing that we eventually eliminate job discrimination, of seeing that we change housing patterns, of seeing alteration of tax structure.”

K1:
Biden opposed busing because it was not a way to eliminate job discrimination, housing discrimination, nor was it a way of integrating neighborhoods. That was his stance…It hardly seems racially motivated to me.

The Facebook post says that in 1977, Biden said integrating black students would turn schools into ‘a jungle… a racial jungle.’"

That’s not quite right. In 1977, Biden, who opposed court-ordered busing to integrate public schools, said: “Unless we do something about this, my children are going to grow up in a jungle, the jungle being a racial jungle with tensions built so high that it is going to explode at some point.”

He advocated for “orderly integration,” specifically integrating housing, and he supported many other aspects of desegregation and civil rights. But, as the New York Times reported, Biden also pushed an “anti-busing agenda into the early 1980s.”

K1:
There is your context.

3 Likes

It wasn’t about his kids getting bused to black schools it was about forced busing of black kids to white schools.

1 Like