Does anyone here believe that we can eliminate ALL fossil fuel use in 12 years?

Drive one way. Have lunch with her. During lunch use a super charger. Go home.

Life is good.

This would depend on the auto makers. Are they willing to build cars that don’t use fossil fuels? Is the nation. Ready to be dotted with nuclear plants several in each state? Is boring and airbus willing to create airliners that run on the wind?

I am betting they are not!

No need for massive expansion of nuclear power. Wind and solar with energy storage would be more than adequate.

All arguments these days come down to AOC v. DJT.

:confused:

From what I heard, GM is starting to move away from gasoline engines (to the ire of the unions). The new cars in the future will be more like Tesla s apparently.

And how many billions will that cost?

And what will the cost of these new and improved batteries be? How about recharge time?

Is that supposed to be good?

And people wonder why the price of '60’s and '70’s small cars are increasing.

1 Like

And how many super charger stations are there in Utah? Are they convenient to where we would be having lunch? Close to her apartment? How long will it take to get almost a full recharge to make it back home (with no extra stops on the way back I might add)?

I think the new Tesla coming out is supposed to be 600 mile range. But it is the new roadster.
Very light, VERY expensive,…and not practical.

Unless you require 0-60mph in under 2 seconds!! :smirk:

Just checked, nearest Tesla super charge station is 10 miles from her house.

Not to mention you only get 31 miles for each hour of charging. Unless you’ve dropped extra money for two onboard charges then you get 32 miles for each hour of charging.

So I’ve got a 400 mile round trip. I’ve dropped 60k on a car with 310 miles and double chargers… I’m going to need to do at least a 2 hour lunch with my daughter. It’s 4 hours there, 4 hours back and now at least 2 to 3 hours of charging IF I’ve spend extra for the dual chargers in the car.

This is feasable for your AVERAGE person?

Anyone see Marshall Medoff biofuel from cellulose on 60 Minutes last night?

Processes it with electron beams. Who know how much energy that process requires???

Don’t know if this guy is a Thomas Edison or “snake-oil salesman”.

Wind and solar right now is far from adequate. Where will all the land come from needed for all the mirrors/solar pannels or wind turbines? You do realize how much land these things take up right?

No. Charging batteries is not immediate future for electric cars other that around town driving.

To answer your questions, I’d have to know where her apartment is, which you must know that I don’t know at all and I have no interest in asking. So I don’t see this as a very serious question.

I’ve seen super chargers at most metropolitan areas and near restaurants of all sorts. It takes 30 minutes to get about 150 miles in range.

Wind turbines use very little land. Solar is best for the large completely unused swaths of land in the southwest.

Really? 150 miles in 30 min?

Tesla’s web page says with 240 volt and 2 internal charges the BEST is 61 miles of charge in 60 minutes.

Take a close look at the picture of this wind farm. This is only a fraction of the towers. Tell me again with a straight face they use very little land. We are talking thousands of acres for each wind farm.

That threw some cold water on the discussion.

Waiting for a glider mention.

Excellent point. Why hamstring ground transportation and ignore aviation and oceanic transport?

:ship:

One thing that always get talked about but never done is large lighter that air cargo transport.