Dobbs watch thread (Row v Wade Overturned)

Ha, yes, very important caveat (in Thomas’ mind).

People get a little riled up when their rights are taken away.

But not on a certain sixth of January…

1 Like

Good thing there is no right to an abortion then.

2 Likes

:+1: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yep

Bonkers

1 Like

[Public Service Announcement]

NOTE: TO THOSE THAT WILL ASSIST WOMEN TRAVELING ACROSS STATE LINES

If your state attempts to make it illegal to travel, or assist someone with travel, to another state for an abortion either as a criminal offense or by opening you up to civil punishment by being sued.

There is good news.

Just have the person by a firearm in the new state, doesn’t have to be expensive - a basic .22 caliber rifle can be had for less than $200.

By traveling to buy a firearm or to assist a person with buying a firearm, you will be good to go.

WW

[/Public Service Announcement]

3 Likes

Yes, and also when they lose elections, but it doesn’t justify decapitating institutions over it.

Well, that’s the thing. There was, until this morning.

3 Likes

Doubt she even understands what a “big” word like that means.

1 Like

I think certain forms of contraception and out of state travel will be the next battleground.

If we truly believe that life begins at conception, it naturally follows that concraception is a goner.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how they could block interstate travel.

When the view is that the institution has been corrupted by partisan ■■■■■■■■ what is the correct response?

The power of the institutions derive from the belief that that are in service to the people.

What if that goes away?

I just hope this is enough of a win for the anti-abortion crowd but something tells me they will overplay their hand to the detriment of everyone especially women.

It’s typically in good form to specify female hormonal contraception which can prevent implantation of the fertilized egg after conception.

Condoms & Rhythm Method are forms of contraception that don’t fall into that problem area.

WW

who says the health of women is now at stake? what about all those pregnant men who will have to go to New York or California?

1 Like

I guess you haven’t see the section form the Thomas concurrence that Griswold (contraception), Lawrence (sodomy), and Obergefell (same sex civil marriage) were also erroneous decisions.

Of course he left out the Loving (interracial civil marriage) from his list, even though it was based on the same Constitutional principal.

WW

1 Like

That view was well instilled before today. It’s a lazy view, and mostly stems from people not reading these decisions and actually understanding why the decisions are made (or in this case, change).

The most unfortunate reality is that the right to an abortion was, always, based on the flimsiest of legal theories (substantive due process). It had a fatal flaw from day one, and pro-choice Americans have been doing their best to ignore (and certainly not understand) that reality for decades. Ignorance was bliss.

Now, when the “conservative” members of the Court have, frankly, applied a fairly uncontroversial legal position to reverse Roe, peoples’ heads explode because they can’t, for the life of them, understand how this could be. They assume it must be purely political chicanery, when it’s really not.

The perception of the Court is a huge problem, I agree, but the Court can’t base its decisions on complying with or avoiding certain “perceptions” of the people. That defeats the purpose of having a SCOTUS at all.

3 Likes

The problems is, when the youth vote for something they want instant gratification or they stay home next time. The anti-choice people worked at this methodically for almost 50 years and they never stayed home.

Congress should have done its job in 1973. Instead of allowing it to be thrown to the courts.

90% of this country’s problems revolve around the legislative branch not legislating. They allow the executive and judiciary determine things.

The founders gave the legislature the most power for a reason. Because they represent the interests of the people and the states.

Instead they abandoned that in situation after situation. And then had the audacity to clap like seals as their powers were usurped by the presidency and the judiciary.

4 Likes

Don’t expect that from the majority of people.

What they see is that Alito’s argument boils down to “because ■■■■ You… that’s why”

And now it gets solved legislatively.

So… it never gets solved. The right is always one election away.

It is a forever battle.

1 Like