Do you think Floyd was murdered?

separate count of first degree murder.
you don’t have to have an victim to have intent to murder.

You don’t have to have a victim for intent to murder to exist.

That I understand. But we’re talking about premeditation, not intent.

1 Like

Actually I’m not sure that is correct. You still need a target don’t you?

But if you get up and say I’m going to shoot people at movie theater then that is premeditated because you plan on hitting the movie theater.

Agreed. But I would still be careful of over playing your hand or making promises.

Well, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

the difference between first and second degree is, second degree is a crime of the moment but you understand what your doing is wrong and that you are in fact murdering someone.

If the office work up and said he was going to kill someone that is first degree.

If the office in the moment of interacting with Floyd said I’m going to kill this person that is second degree he never planned to kill Floyd or anyone with premeditation but choose in that moment to infact kill Floyd intentionally.

If the office killed him by accident during a physical conflict that is third degree because killing him was secondary.

this is a clear case of third degree.

I’m not making any promises. But I’d be very surprised to be wrong here.

But that wouldn’t fit here thou. He didn’t wake up and planned on killing someone. He had not plan or target etc.

Yes, I know. As of 2 weeks ago, I am officially a law school graduate.

But what we were talking about is whether a specifically targeted person was required for the element of premeditation to be met.

I agree that Murder 1 does not fit here.

We were just discussing whether a specific target was required for premeditation.

No there doesn’t need to be a target.
which is why serial killer and mass murders are charged with individual count of first degree murder.

I think you’re right, but I’m too tired to check.

There’s just no way to justify what was done to Floyd.

On two different occasions during the torture which ended in his death other officers “suggested” he should get off the man and roll him on his side and/or put him in the car.

8.5 minutes of slow torture resulting in death, and DA who can’t make a charge of first degree murder out of that needs to find another career.

That doesn’t matter. Premeditation can happen literally in seconds.

In this case he knew what he was doing put the man at risk of death and he continued it for over 8 minutes.

Serial killers specifically target individuals, usually with a very specific profile. They are the most meticulous of all killers.

Mass murderers put a great deal of time and planning into their attacks generally, some, like the Vegas shooter put months or even years into selecting their locations and events.

Premeditation though does not require the specific targeting of an individual prior to the event.

Yes and I also believe that the officers witnessing it are complicit to some degree.

1 Like

Yes, and Waters did it. By the way, which one’s Pink?

1 Like

I don’t think it was intentional murder but it was absolutely extreme negligence and bad decision making by the officer.

I’d compare to a guy who gets extremely drunk and then goes out driving and ends up killing someone. He didn’t set out to kill anyone but his actions still make him culpable.

I thought unions were good?