Do you think Floyd was murdered?

I just watched the video of Floyd’s arrest a few minutes ago.

Man is on the ground, Chauvin has his knee on the man’s neck and tells him to get up and get in the car.

How is he supposed to get in the car with the man’s knee in his neck?

And for two minutes after one of the cops checked Floyd’s pulse and couldn’t find it…Chauvin continued to keep his knee on Floyd’s neck.

I think it was cold blooded murder.

What say the conservatives here?

did he intent to kill him? who knows.
but he murdered him directly by his actions.

Keeping your knee on a guy’s neck after he’s begged for his mother and then not moved for two minutes, after a fellow cop tells you he has no pulse?

That’s premeditated murder.

1 Like

I think he didn’t care because he didn’t see him as human.

Yes, murder.

9 Likes

From the Minnesota statutes:

609.185 MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of murder in the first degree and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life:

(1) causes the death of a human being with premeditation and with intent to effect the death of the person or of another;

No chance of proving premeditation, so First Degree is off the table.

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or

Actually, I think establishing the mens rae of intent is possible.

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

I think there is a very high chance of getting a conviction of Third Degree Murder.

If Third Degree Murder failed, the following Manslaughter statutes exist:

609.20 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

Whoever does any of the following is guilty of manslaughter in the first degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 15 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $30,000, or both:

(1) intentionally causes the death of another person in the heat of passion provoked by such words or acts of another as would provoke a person of ordinary self-control under like circumstances, provided that the crying of a child does not constitute provocation;

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person’s culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

Hmmm. For almost three minutes after being told Floyd was unresponsive, Chauvin kept his knee on him. While we’ll never know what was in Chauvin’ s mind, it could be suggested that it was then he decided to kill Floyd. Improbable, of course, however, I wonder how much time must pass between planning to murder someone and actually murdering someone in order for it to be considered premeditated. Just a thought experiment.

1 Like

I think his case is one among thousands of recent murders. The chief difference is that it is a real “groundhog day”. Every day it is a new retelling with little or nothing to add.
And there is no reason to believe that this case would not have been properly handled without making it a cause celebre.
After all, the city and the state are run by liberal Democrats. Wouldn’t they have done “the right thing”?

1 Like

Even if he - in that moment - decided to kill Floyd, that’s not premeditation, just intent.

Thousands of recent murders by police officers of citizens they’re trying to arrest?

You at least use the word murder - do you agree that Chauvin murdered Floyd?

After all, the city and the state are run by liberal Democrats. Wouldn’t they have done “the right thing”?

What’s that got to do with whether or not you think Chauvin murdered Floyd?

1 Like

Ok, I see it then as intentional murder that lacks premeditation, which is the heart of murder 2. But I know it varies from state to state.

Murder 2 is possible - but would be very difficult to prove. Murder 3, on the other hand, fits the fact pattern here very closely - and will still send the cop to jail for 10-20 years.

2 Likes

On the surface it appears to be third degree murder using the guidelines posted above. My point was just to comment that this killing is not worth all the time and speculation. There is not reason to believe that the liberal Democrat city and liberal Democrat state would not have treated this fairly (is there?) so 1) let the jury decide and 2) there was no reason to make it into a cause celebre.

Apparently the black community feels that thousands of deaths (not in one year but I think over the course of ten years) and nothing has changed in all that time.

It is the cumulative deaths that are the “cause celebre.”

From the article:

In nearly two decades with the Minneapolis Police Department, Derek Chauvin faced at least 17 misconduct complaints, none of which derailed his career.

Over the years, civilian review boards came and went, and a federal review recommended that the troubled department improve its system for flagging problematic officers.

All the while, Mr. Chauvin tussled with a man before firing two shots, critically wounding him. He was admonished for using derogatory language and a demeaning tone with the public. He was named in a brutality lawsuit. But he received no discipline other than two letters of reprimand.

You say Minneapolis - or as you put it, “a liberal city” will do the right thing.

Well, they do do the right thing - firing officers for cause.

Then the police unions get involved and these people are put back on the force to continue their bad actions.

In Minneapolis, the authorities took quick action against Mr. Chauvin and three other officers involved in Mr. Floyd’s death, firing them one day after a graphic video emerged of the encounter. But that does not mean the officers are gone for good. Public employees can appeal their dismissals — and in scores of cases across the country, the officers often win.

The thousands of deaths would be 99.99% killings not involving police and an unarmed person.

But the specific question in this OP was, “Do you think Floyd was murdered by Chauvin.”

Why bring in “liberal cities” instead of just saying the particular name of this city, Minneapolis?

Hmmm…are you looking for some complex reason for picking one word or the other? I have none to offer.

You’re not going to get first degree murder charge so don’ even try or promise it…you’re only going to invite more trouble.

I’m expressing my opinion only - I don’t live in MPLS and am not posting my opinion anywhere where someone from MPLS will see it.

I’m just curious about what people here think.

Do you think this was murder, Conan? If not, why not?

3rd degree murder is still murder.

1 Like

Not at all. Everyone here knows the reason why you chose to ignore the OP and just talk about “liberal cities.”

I was just wondering if you’d actually say it straight out.

1 Like