Do we want to talk about the stock market? 1-31-20

Remember the idiocy surrounding the swine flu from people like Glenn Beck?

That should have been a canary in the coalmine as to how stupid things were going to get.

The Coronavirus has dramatically diminished worldwide travel especially to and from China equally affecting the worldwide oil an fuel markets.
Fer crissakes blame Trump for the Coronavirus and get it over with would ya1

Without government funding into research… we don’t get new drugs.

That’s actually not entirely true.

On that score you oughtn’t listen to AOC so much. She has no clue what she’s talking about.

1 Like

Australia’s CSIRO has started work on the coronavirus:

https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-releases/2020/CSIRO-scientists-start-work-on-coronavirus

I can only recall reading one post on this forum that has suggested same. That post is yours.

But such logic gets in the way of politicizing everything.

I am referring to this paper

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/10/2329

This work examines the contribution of NIH funding to published research associated with 210 new molecular entities (NMEs) approved by the Food and Drug Administration from 2010–2016. We identified >2 million publications in PubMed related to the 210 NMEs ( n = 131,092) or their 151 known biological targets ( n = 1,966,281). Of these, >600,000 (29%) were associated with NIH-funded projects in RePORTER. This funding included >200,000 fiscal years of NIH project support (1985–2016) and project costs >$100 billion (2000–2016), representing ∼20% of the NIH budget over this period. NIH funding contributed to every one of the NMEs approved from 2010–2016 and was focused primarily on the drug targets rather than on the NMEs themselves. There were 84 first-in-class products approved in this interval, associated with >$64 billion of NIH-funded projects. The percentage of fiscal years of project funding identified through target searches, but not drug searches, was greater for NMEs discovered through targeted screening than through phenotypic methods (95% versus 82%). For targeted NMEs, funding related to targets preceded funding related to the NMEs, consistent with the expectation that basic research provides validated targets for targeted screening. This analysis, which captures basic research on biological targets as well as applied research on NMEs, suggests that the NIH contribution to research associated with new drug approvals is greater than previously appreciated and highlights the risk of reducing federal funding for basic biomedical research.

100% of new molecular entities had research funding through the NIH.

It was until very recently that the Federal government was the majority contributor to new field research (research that didn’t have any near term or clear profit incentive). I believe the change has been because profits for drugs have risen to such a degree that now corporations can risk the new field research money in hopes of even more returns.

I personally don’t think that’s a good thing.

The sad thing is someone out there is going to think the virus is linked to the beer…

Thanks for noticing knocker. Guess I’m stating either unknown facts or the obvious? I’ll try to do better.

If I understand the stock market correctly, it is not just Trump but the general public that controls the prices. People are starting to slow down on selling because of the Coronavirus. The stock market was up because people had more money to invest, and they were more confident because of the economic policies in place. So I guess indirectly it is because of Trump but there are more factors at play.

My question was tongue in cheek and only slightly sarcastic. My point is that there are many contributing factors that influence stock markets and stock markets react to such things as the outbreak of the coronavirus. Reduction of travel to and from China could have severe consequences to countries’ economies.

Certainly a ban prohibiting travel to and from China in concert with our bushfires may have a huge impact on my country’s economy.

Donald is a much less sophisiticated virus.

I have to agree with you on this @JayJay.

I don’t think this will be a global pandemic that kills millions but I think those of us that follow the trends are aware that we are on the brink of one.

Antibiotic resistance is a serious red flag. (I’m not conflating a virus with being bacterial).

As far as taking the flu more seriously, I couldn’t agree more. I have an employee who has been hospitalized for 8 days now due to a coronavirus. Quite frankly, at this point, I’m not sure she is going to make it. She is only in her 30’s.

I’ve been working on getting her transferred to Mayo all morning.

No, a very small minority controls the prices. Top 10% of households own 81% of all equities.

How much does pharmaceuticals take up I didn’t see them in that list but I would imagine Merck, Eli Lilly, JnJ, Gild, BMY etc take up a big chunk…

This is evidence of it not being a news related ratings ploy.

No it doesn’t. Stop spreading panic.

Of course it will.