Do we want to talk about the stock market? 1-31-20

If Bernie wins next week its going to fall further. Protect yourself and buy gold.

And a reverse mortgage. If Tom Sellick is pushing it, I’m sure it’s fine.

True not sure right off how much it is but I would imagine a big chunk if one counts the pharmaceutical companies as well as the insurance companies.

Don’t get me wrong Jezcoe I believe costs are out of control as well. My Aunt is currently being financially slammed by bills after a nasty car accident, which produced two compound fractures, broken ribs, pierced lung, and a head injury. After two months of staying in the hospital and now having to go through physical therapy even with the ACA which she is on since she has her own small business my cousin was telling me the costs and it was bad plus all the meds they got her on, one in particular that even after insurance is like $750 a script. Something has to give.

1 Like

I am sorry about your aunt.

I support a Public option Medicare buy in for those who want it.

That should have been an option with the ACA but insurance lobbyists killed.

1 Like

■■■■■■■ Russians!

Government will solve it!

This is the media creating panic to make a profit. How many people have been infected with influenza in the same time period?

Name it after a beer and the sheep go crazy.

2 Likes

Less than 300 deaths in China and there’s panic? How much you want to bet they had some additional factors? Babies, really old, etc.

Influenza killed 61k in the US alone in 2017-18.

Baa Baa Corona!

Coronavirus has a death rate almost 50x that of influenza. It’s communicable prior to patients being symptomatic. It’s a “panic” because if it spreads to a fraction of the scale of flu, it’ll be much worse.

No it doesn’t. Stop.

If he creates conditions favorable to the market, then he has every right to take credit.

I hardly think he created the virus that has caused the market to drop.

Flu has had a death rate of about 0.0005 this year. Coronavirus about 0.025.

You think private enterprise will solve Coronavirus if it becomes a pandemic?

Private enterprise will develop the vaccine?

Lol.

When it comes to preventing and mitigating large scale instances of disease, the CDC has done more than any other institution on the planet

See also… the eradication of smallpox.

I work in pharma.

You should see how long it takes to get a project initiation plan approved.

If anyone thinks private enterprise will ramp up to make a vaccine in time without massive government involvement…they are kidding themselves.

There isn’t any money in eradicating disease.

Which makes more money?

A ward full of iron lungs or getting rid of polio all together?

Still hovering just above the catastrophic 28,000 mark. Let us pray for recovery.

This could be a serious thing. Airlines stopping flights to the second largest economy in the world is a major thing. It’s not the normal news scare of avian flu or west nile.

No…pharma makes vaccines.

But to make them at the speed required when a new virus arrives requires massive government investment.

2 Likes

No…it’s a new virus in humans and thus we have no idea of the innate immunity that might be present in humans, the spread rate, the lethality rate.

Will this turn into a global pandemic that kills millions?

Who knows…maybe not…probably even likely not.

But one day it will happen…we will have a global pandemic.

So best to take every new virus that comes up seriously until such time as we know more.

We should take the flu more seriously too.

2 Likes