Do we have a state-controlled media?

I think the media is in the business of infotainment no matter how slanted it maybe be to either side. Lazy journalism for lazy consumers. No matter what side of the political spectrum, both left and right leaning outlets are guilty. There’s really no balance when it comes to media and if there is, it’s far in between. I don’t care if it’s right or left, too much of one is dangerous.

To answer the question…NO…we don’t have a state-controlled media. However, I can name at least 2 outlets that are doing their best impressions of such.

1 Like

I disagree and say the changes are still happening, especially in government bureaucracy. Obama and his team were very smart. They played the long term strategy.

Of course the Wrecking Ball getting elected set things back for them a bit, but they will come roaring back now, especially if they take the Senate next month.

The seeds were sown under Obama. The fruits have yet to be realized.

The greatest trick the bureaucracy ever pulled was convincing us elected officials have the power.

2 Likes

I generally agree that they are primarily profiteers; with a couple of notable exceptions.

1 Like

I think black people understand this very well. Black people have always been skeptical of the media given their negative portrayal of us for views and clicks.

1 Like

The only responsibility American media has is to maximize returns to its shareholders.

Not generally, not primarily…

Publicly traded media companies are 100% in it for profit. Maximizing shareholder value.

In this day and age… that is measured in clicks and views.

About 90% of the media is owned by a handful of huge multinational companies who have business ties to China. Most of the “news” is a giant infomercial to push China-first policies that favor these business interests. The last thing they want it to allow voters to make an informed choice.

The tech companies made billions in extra profits from lockdowns that were promoted by China and the WHO. The lockdowns destroyed the lives of millions of workers and businesses and the media used their monopolies and provisions of federal law to censor opposing views:

Big Brother is here along with his American puppet.

1984 was not intended to be an instruction manual.

China owns Biden and his family. Very scary.

No.

I even did a search on NPR for a couple of these topics and found articles predating the election written on them.

NPR Search : NPR

https://www.npr.org/search?query=%20Tara%20Reade%20&page=1

Reading this list of topics is like reading a list of bullet points for a pro-Trump campaign ad. Sounds to me like the Trump campaign just dropped the ball on getting their message out. I guess having less Russians on Facebook to help them took a toll.

I disagree.

1 Like

The far left has been anti-Biden the whole time. Before the election there was a lot of infighting between those who refused to vote for him on principle and those who were like, you have to vote for him to avoid 4 more years of Trump. A large chunk of Biden votes were really just anti-Trump votes.

Then you don’t understand for profit companies

Have you read 1984?

1 Like

I understand them very well. There are two notable exceptions to your rule.

I read our local paper Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Local broadcast news…FOX…Britebart. Search internet sans google.

Critical reading…read between lines…look for trends and hedge words.

That is not how it is supposed to be.

That is mostly where we are now.

I disagree. They are companies.

The suspense is killing me…

NYT and CNN. Editorial practices.

Aren’t they both for-profit?