Do we have a state-controlled media?

Rather than a state-controlled media, I believe we have a corporate-controlled state and media.

Supposed to be. I don’t believe that is what currently drives them.

There is a civic duty for honesty and transparency that is supposed to be above clicks.

It resides in ethics and professional integrity.

That is very naive.

Perhaps.

I am pointing out what we lost.

There used to be a nationalist duty that was honored until about the mid 1980s.

The internet obliterated it…one click at a time.

Not is he gonna make bullets cost $5.00 apiece. The gun enthusiasts are doing that themselves. I mean, $50.00 for a box of Winchester white box 9mm?!

So 25 years after liberals were warning about the dangers of corporate media consolidation NOW it’s an issue? I don’t see Sinclair or Epoch Times bought up. Is it because Sinclair is a conservative media consolidation or Epoch Times is Chinese owned house organ for the Falun Gong movement that presents American conspiracy theories in a slick package?

We don’t have state controlled media. We have corporate controlled media, just like Republicans have been fighting for for 40+ years. All this “liberal media bias” is nonsense; you won’t see any stories on the “liberal” MSNBC on things like GE war profiteering because who owns them?

So again, I’m sensing some dissatisfaction with America’s free market media experiment.

2 Likes

No there wasn’t. The Nugget and Epitaph in Tombstone caused the gunfight. The NYT has been crooked forever. “Remember the Maine! To hell with Spain!” 1898.

Yellow journalism is what we used to call fake news and it’s been around forever.

What changed was 24 hour outlets.

Why are they exempt?

Honesty yes…

Transparency… no

They chose to exempt themselves. Probably by going too far.

It’s ok, there’s a market for blatant partisanship too.

Most people are lazy and most of the censorship is simply a matter of moving black-listed stories to the bottom of a search list.

An extreme example of the censorship are apps like Apple News or Google News. The “news” app on my phone regularly shows leftist op-eds from the Huff Post or similar sites. Breitbart and similar conservative sites are completely eliminated. Fox News and the New York Post rarely appear, and then only for stories that are relatively non-political.

If I were a young person and my only news sources were from the Apple News app, I would never have heard about Biden scandals except possibly in a story claiming that any rumors were Russian disinformation. Of course there would have been years of breathless stories about the fake Russian-collusion narrative that were never debunked.

It is as if Apple wants to protect their access to Chinese slave labor:

I doubt any stories about Apple’s apparent efforts to profit from slave labor will appear in their news app.

Who told us there was any duty at all? The media.

“Nationalist duty”?

I can’t speak for Apple News, but I use Google News on my phone and get tons of political articles from Fox News. Do you click on these op-eds? GN tends to cater what it shows you based on what you click on.

No we do not have state controlled media. We have media that has allied itself with the DNC by choice. Reporting only stories that promote their DNC friends. Ignoring anything that shines the light of truth on them.

3 Likes

LIB dominated MSM; yes. State controlled MSM; no.

Decades ago there was a wider range of ownership and the ownership was local. Now all the mainstream news outlets are owned by a handful of huge multinational corporations who have no special loyalty the US and are beholden to business interests in China. What is good for the media giants is not good for the US.

China has recognized that the easiest way to beat the US is to use trade access, bribes, cyberwarfare and intimidation to control the US media and US political leaders. If they are successful in installing a puppet regime, they have won a war without even firing a shot.

Glad to see some on the right moving away from free market capitalism.

Auctioning the government off to highest bidder will not give us any freedom.

If Biden seizes control, we will have the best government China can buy.

1 Like

By the media! Which means joe didn’t really win. Don’t you seeeee? Ghyna? Obviously .