Disease at the border

In all honesty, HIV has become a chronic disease, somewhat similar to hypertension or diabetes, in that if it is well controlled (treated with medication) you can lead a long healthy life. Air travel is implicated in SARS, H1N1, West Nile and the spread of other diseases which can have a pretty big impact on well-being. If the goal is to protect the lives and health of Americans, it’s pretty silly to say only those coming across the southern border pose any real threat and need to be screened/quarantined.

As a side note, the hysteria in the OP over typhus is hilarious. If this were the early 1900s, maybe there would be cause for concern. With our new fancy medicines (doxycycline, which came along in the 1950s), it’s easily treatable for less than $10 or free at health clinics.

Perhaps you haven’t kept up with the recent stories of people trying to break across the border.

No. They should be treated with dignity. They’re human beings not locusts.

lol - my comment stands.

On weak legs.

But then you have “some” people wanting us to intervene in Ukraine situation…even to a point of using military.

Europe needs to get their act together. IMO they is no reason why they can’t help us out keeping sea lanes opens and hold the Russian at bay on their own.

Don’t people seeking asylum typically have more diseases, since they have not been in homes, light of food, and are often traveling with lots of people. and in tough conditions?

I think allowing people to seek asylum based on that is wrong…

I mean I get sick when I fly on a plane! I could not imagine being a refugee.

Paging Karma! Paging Karma!

That’s incorrect.

Contracting it as an adult can be fatal if you have no prior exposure.

Because there is no loyalty to the fact they are Americans. To many on the left whether it was an American 20 miles down the road from them or someone from Laos it’s all the same, and for some less important.

I agree with you as the saying goes, Get your own house in order first. The same people saying the world is turning to automation losing blue collar work are the same advocating to bring in more blue collar workers.

Well, they are certainly being treated as locusts right now.

How our government treats people is our responsibility.

1 Like

In the post vaccination era, primary Chickenpox (and Chickenpox related death) has become exceedingly rare. Prior to 1995, there were about 100-150 Chickenpox deaths per year, in 2012 (most recent year I can find) there were 3. Hospitalization rates dropped about 90% over the same time. With widespread vaccination and herd immunity (99% of those over 40 are seropositive), a handful, or even busloads of people with active varicella would be of no significance.

You are incorrect. Your information pertains to US citizens. They will be living in a subculture.

6,000 or so a year die from chickenpox.

Huh? 6,000 a year where? Why are we discussing non-Americans?

Because they are non-Americans.

The OP is about bringing disease into the US. If someone has a disease and comes to the US, but it has zero impact secondary to vaccination and herd immunity, then who cares? You just don’t want a non-American to die of varicella on US soil?