Dilbert Canceled!

Looks like Scott Adams cartoon Dilbert has been canceled by many newspapers after he posted a YouTube video that some saw as racist and inflammatory. Fair? Or no?

Citing a Rasmussen poll that asked the question, “is it okay to be White,” Adams called Black Americans a “hate group” and said that White people should “escape” to communities that have a “very low Black population” because the situation “can’t be fixed.”

1 Like

Full quotes:

“I would say, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people,” the 65-year-old author exclaimed. “Just get the ■■■■ away. Wherever you have to go, just get away. Because there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed.”

Reiterating that whites need to “escape,” Adams said that he had already done so by moving to an area “with a very low Black population.” He then cited Black CNN anchor Don Lemon to justify his assertion that there’s a “correlation” between a “mostly Black” neighborhood and “a bunch of problems he didn’t see” in majority-white areas.

“So I don’t think it makes any sense as a white citizen of America to try to help Black citizens anymore,” Adams huffed. “It doesn’t make sense. There’s no longer a rational impulse. So I’m going to back off on being helpful to Black America because it doesn’t seem like it pays off.”

If that is truly what he said, then I am not shocked.

Some people have been canceled, or at least lost their jobs for harmless out of context things that offended only the easily offended. (Larry Summer and Howard Cosell come to mind.)

2 Likes

Oh, yeah. I can see why that landed him in hot water. That’s kinda racist.

2 Likes

It was racist and inflammatory.

6 Likes

I didn’t take you for a smoker, Bob.

Well yeah. I just wanted to be “fair and balanced”.

1 Like

In before “Who is Scott Adams? Never heard of him.”

3 Likes

Huh ???

Are we morphing the definition of racism to include that?

It doesn’t meet any definition I just looked up.

4 Likes

Who is Scott Adams?

You disagree?

1 Like

Is it true?

1 Like

Scott has kinda lost it over the last few years.

1 Like

That we should get the ■■■■ away from black people? Well, yeah. You?

I haven’t thought about it much. I disagree with him about “black.”

Of course, he probably means the Woke Sky Screamers.

It’s culture, not color.

2 Likes

Looking back to the OP is see

I notice that “hate group” are the only words in quotes.
Typically this means if we read the whole statement we might not reach the conclusion the reporter wants us to reach.

and I see

Here I notice the word “should” is not in quotes.

Again not even a full sentence.
Typically this means the reporter has and agenda, wants us to believe that agenda, but know that revealing even one whole sentence might means (gasp) we will think for ourselves and reach a different conclusion.

Still, in the unlikely case the reporter here is telling the truth,
then Scott Adams’ statements were both racist and tone deaf.

“Adams called Black Americans a “hate group”
Are they? Is it racist any time a black person calls whites racists? Saying it’s racist for one and not the other is…….racist.

I’d agree with the descriptors of inflammatory and tone deaf.

1 Like

“I would say, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people,” the 65-year-old author exclaimed. “Just get the ■■■■ away. Wherever you have to go, just get away. Because there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed.”

It’s on video, but there’s the quote. He said a bunch of other inflammatory stuff as well, such as don’t help black people, and trolling by saying he used to identify as black, but will start identifying as white from now on.

1 Like

The racist part is to lump black people together.

If he really said what the reporter claims I can understand where the feeling comes from, but as public figure he has the responsibility to choose his public words more carefully.