Detaining children separately costs 2.5x keeping them with their families

…according to NBC’s source within the department of health and human services.

The cost of holding migrant children who have been separated from their parents in newly created “tent cities” is $775 per person per night, according to an official at the Department of Health and Human Services — far higher than the cost of keeping children with their parents in detention centers or holding them in more permanent buildings.

It costs $256 per person per night to hold children in permanent HHS facilities like Casa Padre in Brownsville, Texas. And keeping children with their parents in detention centers like the one run by U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement in Dilley, Texas cost $298 per resident per night, according to an agency estimate when it awarded the contract for the facility in 2014.

At those prices, the additional cost to operate a 400-bed temporary structure for one month at capacity would be more than $5 million. The average stay for separated kids is nearly two months.

So those who despite big government, wasteful spending, etc, how do we reconcile this as good policy? I’m not even discussing the ethical or moral implications of separating them, either. If it costs so much more to separate, why are we doing it?

1 Like

This was a quote from the article as well-I thought I had blocked it as a quote, but apparently did not-just pointing it out so no one thinks it was my own commentary.

This seems to be nothing but partisan party politics.

This went on all throughout the Carter, Regan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama presidencies, and not a peep from the news media and hand wringers. The news media did not freak out for over thirty years,when parents and their children could be separated when apprehended during an illegal immigration border crossing, or when when an asylum seeker crossed the border with their children.

The members of congress did not seem to care, since neither party sought to address this. but like so many things, Trump is the president everyone demands must fix this during the second year of his first term in office.

I don’t see anything in your post addressing the cost. My thread is about the cost. If you aren’t interested in discussing the cost, there are some other threads you may considering visiting.

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE THE EDIT FUNCTION BACK SOON? PLEASE?

Please give us the edit function back soon, please?

Zero tolerance on the edit function! If you don’t want mis-spellings, then spell words correctly!!
:wink:

5 Likes

It’s really hard to convince myself to proofread this early in the morning during summer vacation, but I guess when one starts a thread, one should take the onus to do so. Still…I’m more than happy to correct my spelling malfeasance…#MakeEditingGreatAgain. #MEGA!!!

I second this. I’ve been on several forums over the years, and this is the only one I’ve seen where you can’t edit your own posts. I’m having a difficult time understanding how hard it is to fix something as easy as this.

1 Like

And those who don’t will be separated from their keyboards.

1 Like

Board is run by Trumplicans.

Thanks for proving they are not being abused. They have a much greater chance of being abused out side the facility… Now, they get free food, free health care,and free housing. It’s a gosh dern lib dream… And some how the left is all ginned up and crying about it. What easily manipulated people

Jim Jones was a democrat… Dems are drinking the kool aid of open borders…

This forum software didn’t have edit when Obama was president and i didn’t see you libs complaining then.

5 Likes

This has nothing to do with my OP. Are you cool with spending 2.5x as much by separating them? How is that fiscally responsible? How is this small government? I thought you didn’t like big government spending?

OK, that’s funny!

They need to work out the glitch that allowed people to edit other people’s posts. Until then, we won’t be able to edit our own.

I’ve done a work around to this. If your post is really messed up, you can click the “…” option tab at the bottom of your post, and select “delete.”

You can copy and paste your messed up post into a text editor before deleting your post, if their are only a few things you need to change. Then edit to your hearts content, and paste it into your new reply.

The article in the OP says:

HHS has said it is holding nearly 12,000 immigrant children, most of whom crossed without a parent or legal guardian. The agency says the children stay in HHS facilities for 57 days on average before they are sent to live with a relative or placed in foster care.

This is a little off topic, but wow. What kind of parents send their minor children across dangerous crossings into a foreign country, all alone? I love my children and would never think to do such a thing.

you know damn well budgets and spending dont matter unless there is a democrat in the white house

No- it did NOT “go on all the time for the past 30 years”.

Would you stop swallowing whole whatever the CEC gives you to eat?

Maybe it’s because you haven’t shared the experience of living in those types of countries.

A dweller in a rich, safe nation impressing his morality on the inhabitants of a poor, dangerous one.

What hubris…