Detaining children separately costs 2.5x keeping them with their families

Trumpublicans don’t care. Budgets and deficits and debt don’t mean ■■■■ at this point. Especially when they have an issue that they believe they can use against the Democrats. These children are not humans to Trumpists. They’re simply a tool that they’ll use to try to retain their authority. They’ll pay any amount necessary to try to stick a finger in the eyes of Democrats. That’s really the bottom line.

You can’t put a price on making America great again/ /sarc

Yeah, money is the issue here. Not.
They don’t care how much it costs to live out their disgusting fantasies.

Don’t worry cratic. When we come into power we’ll be sure to provide your ilk the same wonderful services and safety in a blacked out detention center.

It’s been the law since the 1990s, that children cannot be detained for more than three weeks. I am not sure what else you are referring to

So you have no problem with spending your money on them, good.

The people playing politics with these children, are the Democrats. This is just the latest outrage de jour.

There was not this simultaneous outrage across all media outlets when it was Obama doing this.

New Family Detention Centers Hold Immigrant Women and Children Without Bond as Asylum Claims Pend - 2014

Democracy Now! producer Renée Feltz visits a second detention center in Artesia, New Mexico, to report on the poor conditions and lack of due process for migrants, and the lawyers mobilizing to assist them. “Children were not eating. Children were getting very sick,” says attorney Megan Jordi. “Every child I saw looked incredibly emaciated and had a hollow look in their eyes.”

Congress could write new laws to keep families together when they are seeking asylum. If the laws from the 1990s are not what they would prefer to see, pass a revised one.

Because the purpose, and scope, were far different:

I don’t believe Obama or Trump signed any laws which changed how children are treated. Our outdated immigration policies and laws, combined with our lack of enforcement and sanctuary cities, are all contributing to this mess.

With over 400,000 people a year violating our immigration laws, by either sneaking across our borders, or overstaying visas, of course we will see families in tragic situations.

And now Trump is signing an executive order to violate our 1997 law, and detain children beyond three weeks. It’s not a fix, but any stretch.

Between Obama and Trump, only one engaged in systematic separation as a matter of policy. Obama didn’t do it as the standard. Trump is. Trying to compare the two is dishonest.

Trump is not going out of his way to separate children. About 30% of the unaccompanied children crossing the US border are tied to gangs, like MS13.

Nearly 30% of illegal immigrant children at border have ties to MS-13 or other gangs

So this is not a simple issue, where all these children are with parents. Some of the tens of thousands of unaccompanied children are caught up in slave trafficking or gangs, and are forced against their will to claim the adult with them is their parent or guardian.

I’m sure in some cases the Trump admin is trying to determine if the children are actually accompanied with their real parents, or being coerced by slavers and gangs.

sure, put the children in adult prison with their “parents”…

Do you really think about making purposely ridiculous statements? Do you really want us to believe that you are as ignorant as you sound? If so, it’s working.

Yes, he was.

Hook, line, and sinker. Clap those cymbals!

Uh-huh.

"Family separation stands as a pretty tough deterrent.

It could be a tough deterrent — would be a tough deterrent. A much faster turnaround on asylum seekers.

Even though people say that’s cruel and heartless to take a mother away from her children?

I wouldn’t put it quite that way. The children will be taken care of — put into foster care or whatever. But the big point is they elected to come illegally into the United States and this is a technique that no one hopes will be used extensively or for very long."

That does not mean that they will continue being a gang member when they are in the US. Trump has on multiple occasions tried to scare the public that the majority of immigrants coming over the southern boarder are bad people who will do harm. He also cites MS13 on a regular basis. But what are the real numbers?
There are an estimated 8K - 10K MS13 members in the US. Out of a population of illegal immigrants that equates to 0.09%.

The only source for this is a single government spot check using a sample of 138 teens. That’s how WaTimes hoodwinks people. They claim an official statistic based upon a single sample. And Grim took the bait and is trying to somehow use that as a justification for Trump. It’s unbelievable.

Who the hell sends their minor children off, to cross the border alone and enter a foreign country?

The point I have been making, is this is not as simple as it seems

I suppose you don’t believe any unaccompanied minors are involved in the gangs, the sex trade, or other exploiters of children.

I ask again, what kind of parents send their minor children off, to cross hundreds of miles thru Mexico, and them the USA, all alone? Do you think all of the parents even know where their children are?

Here’s another article, which illustrates how this is not as simple an issue as you and so many others around here, think it is.

U.S. Placed Immigrant Children With Traffickers, Report Says

In addition to the Marion cases, the investigation found evidence that 13 other children had been trafficked after officials handed them over to adults who were supposed to care for them during their immigration proceedings. An additional 15 cases exhibited some signs of trafficking.

The report also said that it was unclear how many of the approximately 90,000 children the agency had placed in the past two years fell prey to traffickers, including sex traffickers, because it does not keep track of such cases.

It would be nice and clean, and all wrapped up in a neat bundle, if out of the 200,000+ people we apprehend illegally residing in the US, or crossing the border, those with children were accompanied with their loving parents, but it’s not always the case