Desantis Protect Parental Rights in Education

They are owed the same ability to be who they want and live their lives as everyone else.

Virtual classes during the pandemic let the cat out of the bag.

Hard to say how long they have been doing it.

1 Like

When it gets right down to it no one “is owed” approval.

Gays can live their lives as they choose as long as they(or anyone else) aren’t discussing things like sexual orientation in the classroom.

Nobody should be doing that as it is indoctrination of the children of others.

So you agree a heterosexual teacher should never mention their spouse in any way shape or form?

Or if they are getting married, don’t tell their students about it?

Got it.

My teachers didn’t talk about those things.

No need to now either.

They were actually teaching believe it or not.

If they do…can they be called out under this new law?

Is that what you want?

I don’t care if a teacher, gay or straight, merely mentions their spouse.

A teacher merely mentioned he was getting married and mentioned the sex of his spouse…and a group of parents wanted him to be fired.

Guarantee you had his spouse been a woman, no such complaints would have been lodged.

This new law gives much more of an impetus to these kinds of reactions…cash strapped school districts are not going to have time or money to deal with every complaint…so the result will be freeze outs of even mere mentions like this.

Book it.

1 Like

It’s not the laws fault if people do that. Did they get fired?

Of course it’s the law’s fault - the law creates a private right of action for parents, allowing them to sue school districts.

I was under the impression parents could always sue school districts. It doesn’t provide anything to people trying to fire a teacher for merely mentioning their spouse that I am aware of.

1 Like

The law will make it more likely such complaints will happen. And the school will have no recourse to just ignore it the way they did in this man’s case. It will have to be adjudicated.

I want them to stick to teaching and avoid indoctrination.

Sexual orientation shouldn’t be talked about by teachers at all in schools.

The cat’s out of the bag at this point. Parents are aware and watching now.

1 Like

Should we get rid of domestic abuse laws because people make fake accusations?

When there’s no real legislative backing, parents think twice before potentially putting up their own money to bring such lawsuits.

The state paid for their efforts to fire a teacher for mentioning their spouse? Link to evidence please.

Anyone can sue anyone for pretty much anything.

But for a case to actually proceed past summary dismissal, the plaintiff has to outline an actual legal claim.

Absent DeSantis’ law, “my child’s teacher mentioned their same-sex spouse” is not a legal claim. Under DeSantis’ law, it is.

1 Like

Civil rights laws open up all possibilities of misuse and false claims of discrimination. Maybe they should be re-examined?

No doubt that’s next on the GOP agenda. I’m sure they’ll be glad to hear you’re already on board.

2 Likes

So the case went forward and the teacher was fired? Link please.

1 Like