DeCentralize the Federal Government

I would like to dilute the efforts of the lobbyists.

Maybe the people in DC would represent their constituents better. :us: :elephant:

1 Like

Wow, you must be a Doctor. Have to think about that…

I wasn’t expressing any desire. But I just think that typically many folks in DC are not that sympathetic towards Buffalo or Detroit people losing their jobs.

I’ve worked in both of those cities. Detroit, a lot, for the auto industry. :us: :elephant:

What makes you feel that way?

I have worked extensively in Buffalo and Washington DC, for the political industry.

Underlying disdain for this part of the country. We’re not the cool kids in exciting new workplaces.
We just make stuff in flyover country. Remember, we’re the deplorables. :elephant: :us:

I don’t see any basis in fact for such a conclusion.

Decentralization encourages boyarism. No thanks.

Decentralized? No. But I can think of several compartments/departments we can easily do without.

If we remove the federal government from DC, can we give it statehood?

And how about removing the two senators and every congressmen from the states that would be getting each department?

Deal?

Land would be return to Virginia.

Oh, so double ■■■■ them over.

DC residents are mostly black, so it makes sense.

What are you whinnying on about?

If DC isn’t going to be the nation’s capital anymore, it should be its own state.

Alabama used to be a part of Georgia, and there are plenty other similar examples.

Why should DC be different?

Besides the fact that they would elect to Democratic senators.

:joy::joy::joy: good one.

Because it’s a town.

And Hawaii is an island.

What’s your point?

During the economic meltdown that plagued our country for a number of years, I had to go to DC. Our whole country was on it’s derriere but DC…had cranes all over the tops of buildings. They were thriving while the rest of the nation was…melting down. When I saw it, I thought…there’s something wrong with this picture?

Not quite.

Virginia got its part of the District back in the 1840’s.

Any retro-cession would go to Maryland.

1 Like

That is not necessarily true. There was an big impact specifically those who live east of the Anacostia and Potomac River and the surrounding suburbs. Also, most of the government workers and contractors don’t live in DC. The majority of us are in MD, VA and travel from as far as PA and WV.

Seeing all those cranes is not a barometer of how the actual residents were doing. The melt down was felt by a couple million residents inside and outside the beltway. We was feeling the same loss as the rest of the country, maybe not as bad, but a loss nonetheless. Hell, I was laid off and unemployed for a few months because of the melt down. In my county(which borders DC), a lot of people either loss their homes via foreclosure or upside down on their home value.

Now I would say one thing that did happened, the recovery here was faster compared to the rest of the country.

No, why do you want to hurt that state?

I was suggesting sharing this large enterprise with other areas of the country.
And by moving some departments closer to their regions/domains they might do a better job for us. Might see a better “buy in” from the govt workers and the citizens too. Each group would see more of the other guys situation.

And it would be easier to audit the effectiveness of an agency. A little more sunlight on each of them would be better instead of everybody working from one giant palace (capitol). :us: :elephant:

Seeing all those cranes was indicating that money was being spent, where as around the rest of the country, this wasn’t true.