DeCentralize the Federal Government

Seeing all those cranes had nothing to do with many of the actual residents.

I agree that one…doesn’t represent the other. I was more referring to government vs the private sector.

You think the construction in DC during the financial collapse was being done by the government?

I’m having a very hard time following your point.

In one way or another, bet the taxpayers were paying for it. :elephant::us:

Literally the point of an extraterritorial federal district, if anything they should expand it.

How?

What does this even mean?

Yes…I concluded it was being paid for by the government…in that they weren’t facing the same economic problems, that the private sector was. The private sector would have not made the decision to expand, while their market is in decline.

I’m not aware of many new federal buildings having been built in the last 20 years.

Are you saying the government built private office buildings and homes? I’m still not sure I understand your argument.

I’m assuming he’s referring to all the buildings that went up in Virginia and Maryland courtesy of the privatization of the military during the 2000s.

You do realize that most of these departments have remote offices already across the country, yes?

I have a cousin that has worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs out of Phoenix, Arizona for what will be 44 years this upcoming June. Plenty of federal jobs of all kinds outside of Washington, DC.

There was also a lot of building in expectation of a growing tech industry in Northern VA. And then a lot of empty buildings.

Yep. I work for a federal contractor remotely from the SF area and I had to get an ID card and there was a large federal building to go to downtown (coincidentally the one people were complaining about in the federal architecture thread).

I don’t know about in DC since I left the area 12 years ago, but they still build federal buildings. The San Francisco Federal Building was built in 2007 for example.

I was complaining about said building. :rofl:

My cousin is civil service. Hired in 1976, worked his way up the General Schedule and eventually into the Senior Executive Service. He is actually maxed out on his retirement and can retire at 80% of his high three years at any time, but he enjoys his job.

It’s certainly not for everyone’s taste, which is typical for modern architecture.

If they’re expanding or remodeling a government building, that’s tax money putting it up.

Or a contractor building a facility for their DC projects, that’s probably taxpayer money too. :us: :elephant:

There are plenty of 3rd parties at the public trough in DC. What I can attest to, is that what I observed in Washington DC, was NOT happening elsewhere in our country.

Like what? Give us some examples of what you’re talking about.

Where else did you check? There was plenty of new construction in New York.

There are a lot of federal buildings in DC. But there are exponentially more non-government buildings in DC.