DeCentralize the Federal Government

None of these are actual reasons to move anything.

They’re just anti-government fantasies and platitudes that make you feel good - you think it’ll “stick it to the man”, or “drain the swamp”, or “empty the septic tank”.

This isn’t about reality, just fantasies. No different than daydreaming about what you’d do if you won the lottery.

Have you ever been to DC, or Baltimore?

The Capitol State would just get bigger and more affluent.

My state, District 13, would just get rustier. :us: :elephant:

The federal government has offices all over the country.

Moving these departments would be very expensive and hurt the livelihoods of many DC area residents. You mentioned sadness over these former mill-towns but then want to do the same to DC?

Here is a pretty good website that lists Federal Employees by state. You can see that the workforce has significant numbers of employees all over the country.

DC as a school kid in 70’s. Baltimore maybe 15 years ago.

We hear of the bad parts…from the news of course.

I’m sure there are some good people there too! :us: :elephant:

Let’s just say that many new businesses open in DC and Baltimore every day.

I hate to see anybody lose a job.
Breaks my heart to travel through old mill-towns that are just ghosts of their prior selves. Companies and people fighting for scraps of past industries.

I don’t want to see people in DC lose jobs. Everyone needs to work.

But I bet I have more sympathy for these old mill-towns than the typical DC resident.

In 2008, 2009 when the housing markets crashed, DC homes prices stayed strong.

Most people in DC weren’t at risk of losing their jobs, homes, and insurance. :elephant: :us:

1 Like

Why?

Why is it somehow better if a DC resident loses their job than if a Buffalo or Detroit resident loses their job?

This is ridiculous.
Not only would something like this devastate the economy of DC, it would have deep negative impact for residents (Govies and Contractors) and along with tens of thousands small of businesses. It would also do the same for most of Maryland, portions of Virginia, PA and WV (a lot of folks commute everyday to the DC area from PA and WV).

Is that what you want? If so that’s some small thinking, selfish, and partisan BS.

Yes. Baltimore is a ■■■■ hole. Shame too.

This is quite the America-hating thread.

Why do you hate capitalism? Help who?

I’m not sure I get your point? People in the DC area would be at risk of losing their jobs, homes, and insurance if you start moving large chunks of the federal government out of the area.

They had their chance. Move it to Kansas!

It would make lobbying more challenging. As it is now all the big corporations and special interests simply have to send their lobbyist to DC. So having our representatives with their constituents makes the whole lobbying practice logistically more challenging. They could also make it that if a lobbyist wants to speak to our representative that meeting could be made available to that representatives constituents.

1 Like

Well, let’s look at “lobbying”.

It’s a favorite boogeyman, for people on both sides of the aisle. But what is it? What does it mean?

If I write a letter to my Congressman, am I a lobbyist? What if I send a hundred letters, to a hundred different members of Congress?

I have always laughed at this notion of lobbying and lobbyists as bogey men.

Special interests.

EVERYBODY on this planet has one “special interest” or maybe several.

Lobbyists are nothing but people who mediate between the great mass of people and the legislator and get the ideas and requests from the public to the legislature.

I lobby myself. No great mystery about the process.

1 Like

No, you’re a lobbyist if you get paid for lobbying.

I didn’t make myself clear, Doctor

I have more sympathy for a Buffalo or Detroit resident losing their job than a DC resident has for the Buffalo or Detroit person losing their job. :us: :elephant:

1 Like

So you are excusing your own desires by assigning negative emotions to others?