Death Valley threatens temperature records but tourists keep coming (2024 update)

Perhaps it is just me.

But it defies every tenet of logic to willingly drive into an oven.

I have gone to Death Valley several times, including with my children when they were young.

But we went in either the months of December or January, when temperatures were at their lowest, highs in the 60’s and low’s in the 40’s.

There are 5 decent months (November, December, January, February, March)
There are 2 marginal months (April, October)
There are 5 ■■■ are you thinking months (May, June, July, August, September)

Seems like it would be more logical to go there when you can enjoy the scenery without taking your life into your hands. :smile:

Since 1969, more than half of all new cars sold came equipped with air conditioning.

Air conditioners do fail, which resulted in one recent death.

And you do kind of have to leave the car to really enjoy the scenery.

So still a very stupid time of year to go.

Follow me here. Far more people go on their annual family vacation down the beach and each year a fair amount of drownings are sadly reported, i.e. getting sucked in the undertow. Just curious, from your way of thinking is summer time a stupid time of year to go for a swim in the ocean?

3 Likes

Same reason people go to beach when hurricane is about to hit…or chase tornado’s.

2 Likes

The thing is, the undertow can be avoided.
The Death Valley heat is a pervasive factor in everything you do there.

To agree with Supreme.

Why would you want to go to someplace when the conditions are so awful as to not only make it dangerous, but thoroughly unenjoyable. Particularly when there is plenty of time during the year when the park is not dangerous due to heat and when you can actually take time and enjoy things.

People commonly report that they can take only a matter of minutes in Death Valley to go outside their cars and look at things, before being forced back to their cars due to the heat.

When we went, we were able to take as much time as we want and leisurely take in the entire park.

1 Like

People often want to experience the ultimate in extremes of their destination choices. And most tourists going to the hot sand in summer or the North Pole for Christmas easily have the resources to pay for added precautions too. The issue I have is you calling it stupid. Hindsight being 20-20 anyone can be 2nd guessed for destination choices especially when disaster ensues.

2 Likes

Sheesh. For me, even 80 is a bit too hot.

Back in 2000 I drove through there once in the middle of the summer. It was just the shortest route from point A to point B, I wanted nothing to do with the place. It was triple digits hot, and every few miles it seemed like there was a car smoking on the side of the road. Not a place I’d want to be. But hey, some people don’t care about that kind of heat.

Yup. This summer is turning out to be a beast.

It is to the point that they cannot even fly in rescue helicopters, because the air is so hot and rarified it is impossible for a helicopter to gain lift.

You literally have to be ■■■■■■■ nuts to set foot in that place right now.

Come back in October, it might save your life.

what’s the point of going to Death Valley when it isn’t going to kill you?

3 Likes

Properly hydrated human beings (i.e, NORMAL PEOPLE) don’t just overheat and die in 120° heat. Only bubblegum bodies and liquid candy addicts do (fatasses and sloths).

Those types tend to need to call other people stupid for having made the right decisions in life to be able to walk around like a NORMAL PERSON in conditions that would “cripple” the bubblegum bodies and liquid candy addicts. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s like going to space and complaining about the danger. It’s a part of the experience.

2 Likes

You would hate it where I live.

I used to run miles and play sports when the temps were in the upper 90s just for the challenge. But at what point does it start to feel unnatural? Like an oven. When I went to Las Vegas, it was 107 at midnight, and 112 during the day. It was hotter at Death Valley.

Yeah, 95 degrees is really hot. So is 102. But there is something different about 112. Yeah I know, 10 degrees. It just felt like I didn’t belong there.

In Iraq, a windy breeze in the summer was just like standing in front of a hair dryer. If it wasn’t shade or air conditioning when the temps were over 110°, it didn’t help at all.

Similarly in Alaska, I couldn’t tell the difference between -10° and -30°. Once it got that cold, it was simply bitter cold to me, so I’d make sure to cover my face so I wouldn’t accidentally freeze my sinuses (which has happened).

I left Kuwait in December 2009 and it was 87°. I woke up in Rockford Illinois the next day and it was -3°. I wasn’t ready. :rofl:

2 Likes

In Iraq, did it get cold at night? Or just not as hot?

Today it was 96 degrees and felt like 107 and it was nothing like It felt in Nevada. It’s hot, but I can function without thinking about the heat. In Nevada it’s all I could think of. When you get into triple digit heat, it’s not natural. Not for humans.

It would usually get down into the 80’s, sometimes upper 70’s, but it would do so within 90 minutes or so of the sun setting. The 30-40° drop was enough to put most of us in full winter PT’s every night (I didn’t wear the gloves though).

Here’s what those looked like when I was in:

In Missouri, the first half of summer tends to be similar to Louisiana, just not usually as humid during mid day. This is our current weather. I’m about to go workout in it.