Death Penalty - The Right to Choose?

And Donald could emcee each execution. He’d bring just the right touch of class and gravitas to them.

61 posts before Trump was brought up. Not bad. lol

Clinical evidence might not exist, but there are plenty of witnesses who have seen co workers etc. die from it and there are a fair number of survivors who nearly died from it to say that is true. Granted the states should do extensive studies to the best of their abilities before using it, but the “anecdotal” evidence is extremely strong.

Personally I’m not particularly squeamish about the methods of execution either, except to say that there is good reason for the cruel and unusual clause in the Constitution and I support sticking to what the document says. We all have opinions on the finer points of course…

I heard Texas was going to put in a fast lane…

We could always say that everything used today is more humane then breaking on the wheel.

The medievals liked to put on a show that’s for sure.

I dunno, old sparky can be pretty horrific…

Yeah it can.

I’d still take that over being tied to a wagon wheel and having all of my limbs broken with a sledge hammer though.

weird thread

Well, since you put it that way…

Thank you for bringing this point up, as it’s a deeply conflicting thought for me as well. I’m wholeheartedly against the act, but I have also lost friends to suicide and none of them were able to have an open casket funeral.

Tommy Lee Jones played him in a film based on novel “The Executioner’s Song” by Norman Mailer.

As far as having the “freedom to choose”, don’t most states with a death penalty offer some alternative to lethal injection should one be masochistic to not want that method?

California, last I heard, gave newly condemned inmates 10 days to choose between lethal injection and financially costly poison gas, and, if they didn’t make that choice on their own within 10 days, the state chose lethal injection for them.

1 Like

Perry did that over a decade ago, it’s served us well.

Since she wants to make it mandatory viewing you bet it would.

English Kings as well as many other despots throughout history not only conducted public execution, they forced the public to turn out and view them as a form of intimidation.

As I said, so much for freedom.

I don’t think that’s the case in any other state although at one time you could choose between hanging, electric chair, or firing squad in many states depending on which methods they used.

In that case, you never know when you might see a harrowing rescue on live TV. :smiley:

If you use a search net with a question like “In what state(s) can a condemned inmate choose method of execution?”, there should be a wide variety of articles.

One, by the Washington Post, even showed a map of the states with everything from those with no death penalty to the majority lethal injection to those half dozen or so that offer some choice–generally between lethal injection and a method that isn’t generally available, but, if convicted a date when it was, the choice is available to that inmate.

Appears Utah is at least similar to when Gary Gilmore was convicted and allowed to pick his poison.

If I could choose my execution, I’d opt for skydiving over a prairie with no parachute. Wouldn’t even have to bury me. :smiley:

Sounds like you could save a lot of money that way, and hey, if you make conditions in prisons intolerable, you could save even more money.

Lemme know and I’ll come shoot coyotes off the carcass and have a beer in your name brother!

Somehow I don’t think there would be a carcass left. Could make for some interesting conspiracy theories though. :thinking: :smiley: