Dealing with depression, mental illness, and the sadder aspects of life

So sad. My heart goes out.

1 Like

Thanks!
Two very important lessons to be learned, or reinforced in this tragedy. First, from what we understand she was not wearing her seat belt. It was a roll over accident. She was thrown from the car an received irrecoverable brain damage. She had her three kids with her, they were all strapped in and are ok. Seat belts save lives. First lesson.
Second is the importance of letting everyone know you wish to be an organ donor if you so choose.
It is rather odd. Just before this happened, or that we heard of it. I had posted about a heart recipient meeting her donors parents.
Spooky!

1 Like

CBT helped for a while, and now I’m in DBT. In regards to medications, Sertraline was doing great for me, but I think I’ve built up a tolerance to it. Overall, there are treatments out there, and there are some biotechnology studies (that a former student of one of my professors did) that have linked PTSD and depression to inflammation in the brain. I think that depression can be in remission, but that it never goes away. At least that has been the case in my experience.

1 Like

I’m sorry about your loss, Lucy.

1 Like

Thanks FlameHeart. That was probably 14 years ago but I still miss him. The coroner ruled his OD as accidental, because even though he swallowed a bottle of pills, it was not a toxic dose and he shouldn’t have died. For some reason I get some peace from that, as I have a clear vision of God just deciding that night that Bill would suffer no longer and wrapped him up in his arms and took him to a better place.

2 Likes

Damn it Lou, I’m sorry to hear that. Life can really pile it on us sometimes, can’t it?

2 Likes

Sure can. Now we get to worry about all the family traveling in to the funeral. She had a brother in Australia, haven’t heard of he will make it in or not.

1 Like

They say there’s not a one size fits all treatment plan for mental illness. They say that each person reacts differently to different treatments. So, despite all the times I’ve been put into group therapy I think it’s time for my doctors to understand that they simply don’t work for me.

I don’t like groups. I especially don’t like groups that gather us around a table and fill out a worksheet as though we’re doing homework. I hated school when I was in it, and I don’t like feeling like I’m back there again. So it’s time to stop sending Nik to group therapy and try to figure something else out.

2 Likes

I think that’s a good idea, Nik. Being in one-on-one therapy might be less intimidating, and you’ll be able to receive more attention than you would in group therapy.

2 Likes

Gawds, I tried group therapy once. There was this woman who was like a broken record. Same thing every week about her husband. Never tried any of the advise, just came back with the same old, same old. One day, I’d had enough and called her out on it. Everyone was shocked, she started bawling and I felt like a turd. Although I do have to say I did see a few suppressed smiles (even from the therapist). I decided group just isn’t for me. I am way too much of a “get to the point and what is the solution” kind of person.

Group just isn’t for everyone. Find what works best and stick with it until you reach a new level and you start to benefit from something else.

As far as writing goes, give yourself a five minute limit and if you want to go over that, do so. If you can’t think of anything to write about, write about things you are grateful for. It can be the most mundane things, like: I am grateful I have air conditioning. I am grateful I can hear birds chirp, I am grateful I hate group therapy (kidding).

2 Likes

My dad has just been diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia. It’s been progressing over the last year now, so it would appear as though the clock proverbial is now ticking.

This will be my first parental loss. I don’t envy anyone who’s already been through this.

One guy is going into details about the experience of a colonoscopy.

It’s more than I wish to know.

I agree.

Flame should be able to unload here and not feel penalized for sharing.

1 Like

I got a 99% on my Physiology final, so that means I have a 92% overall in the class.

I got a 69.33 on my Physics final.

I’m not sure whether to jump for joy or cry. Maybe both?

1 Like

Congratulations on the physiology final! I always found Bio sciences easier than hard core physical science.

I always tell my daughter not to fret so much about occasional low grades. You’ll be fine and I know you have a bright future ahead of you, you’re a conscientious student and this will not hold you back.

2 Likes

And also, Flame, maybe that physics exam will be ok? Graded on a curve, maybe?

My daughter is taking a Statistics course this semester. Turns out she has an aptitude for it, but most of the class struggles. Even so, one exam she only got a 70%, which was still an A because everyone else did so much worse. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yowza. Statistics would have eaten my lunch. Kudos to her for sticking it out this semester!

You are probably right, Lucy. Maybe the grades in Physics will average out to a C. I got 100% on participation and 80-90% on labs, as well as 90% on homework, so those may save me from a D.

1 Like

Crossing my fingers that with those other grades you end up even better than a C!!

2 Likes

I feel this describes me. Or at least I can relate.

1 Like

Hey there - please don’t sweat your grades. I know that is sometimes easier said than done.

But let me remind you (as I’m sure you know this) that you are not represented by some grades on a paper. You are so very much more than that. And these courses you are taking - you are not there to serve or sweat them. They are there to serve you. take from them what you will. And - pardon my language - ■■■■ the grades.

Not sure where you are in your education, but it doesn’t matter really…your next step in life will not be governed by the grades given you in your last.

Again, I know this is easy to say and sometimes hard to do. Particularly if you have an anxious mind. But I’m hear to tell you, those numbers on a page don’t mean a damn thing.

OK?

4 Likes

You are so correct. It’s so hard for those in the thick of it to understand, though.

Flame, you will be fine. :slight_smile: to

2 Likes