Dealing with depression, mental illness, and the sadder aspects of life

I believe he had an extended time out. I’m not sure he even came back after that, or only briefly. He was not too into politics, and other topics don’t seem to catch too much traction here. Maybe he just moved on.

Yes she is under 18, Part of the battle is her Medical Doctor didn’t believe lot of the problems. He also prescribed her a Medicine at the time that 3 other doctors couldn’t believe he did because of the side effects.
We are actually trying to find a better general doctor. Because they are just not working out.
Hopefully we are on the right track. We have been going to Yale Children’s and Boston Children’s to get the other issue to deal with as well. Its just crazy long battle and it shouldn’t be.

America Sucks with Mental Health period.
But i hope we are on the right track now.

I’m sorry that your medical doctor failed all of you. They should have been your first line of help, and they failed.

Fwiw, when my husband was in his 20s, he suffered from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. He had no insurance or regular doctor. He eventually sought help from one of those free/low cost mental health clinics. The correct medication is all it took to help.

He has been just fine for decades now, he is currently on Paxil (I think, anyway) , just prescribed by his general practitioner. It is like insulin for a diabetic. Life is great. I hope your family can get help, too, and it works out similarly. There is hope and room for optimism for the future!

1 Like

:smile:

I am a little worried. My cucumbers and watermelon plants are lined up a shared chainlink fence. So far no pilfering.

But I keep my eye out. Luckily I can see the entire garden from my home office.

Lucy, sorry to hear about your dog. Losing pets is a difficult thing to deal with. Lou, I hate that you and your wife are going through all that pain. I hope things get better for you. But your garden sounds awesome.

@Illegal_Alien, you’re right. Mental health care in this country is not great right now. And we have a long way to go in order to fix it. I wish you and your daughter well. If you ever need some support, you’ve come to the right thread. We have some good, caring people here.

There may very well be one. Or, karma may very well knock on their door when they least expect it. :+1:

I am so sorry to hear that. Anxiety disorder is pretty serious. It completely distorts reality.
I do hope you can find someone who can teach her coping methods and how to distinguish “this is my anxiety disorder talking to me” versus “this is who I am and reality tells me differently”.

My heart very much goes out to you and to your daughter.

I am SO JEALOUS! I used to have a garden and loved every bloom that would nurture itself into what it was meant to be. Lots of philosophy can be likened to a garden.

1 Like

I had two Boston Terrier’s. One was the most amazing. She was full of piss and vinegar. She was adventurous and up for anything at any time. I called her my “sport model”. When she got old and couldn’t walk anymore and it was “her time” she fought every moment of the way, true to her big spirit and nature.

The other one was dumber than a rock but she was the sweetest thing I’d ever encountered. Shy and skittish. Yet, one day I took her to the dog beach and out she went, making friends and swimming way off shore with the labs. When it was her time she went without a fuss at all. True to her sweet spirit and nature.

It’s been a few years now, and I still miss them both. They leave a permanent imprint on your heart. They have amazing souls and spirits, each in their own ways.

Everything dies (even Lou’s taste buds after eating his poblanos), but you nurtured and you gave that little one the best of the best. I do truly believe the imprint you left on you little one’s heart will never be forgotten and is a joy and a gift they hold dear well beyond their passing. :orange_heart:

Don’t forget to take care of yourself and allow yourself to grieve. (((hugs))))

One thing she has on her side is her parents who care, and care a lot. Imagine parent’s who were dismissive and not supportive. I hope you realize your caring is helping her win more than half the battle.

Mostly daily fantasy on FanDuel, DraftKings, etc. We have a group of 4 of us. We do our research in the morning and afternoons and compares notes before filling out our line ups. No secrets, just a lot of research.

So true, on the philosophy, especially after the morning watering. It is cool, little droplets of water glisten like diamonds on cobwebs that caught some overspray. The cool breezes we get early carry the rich scent of the tomato plants and our cilantro, and onions. The bees start coming out visiting each of those little blooms. You know that they are part of a symbiotic relationship you have helped create, a little natures covenant as it were, one which will bring each a later reward.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all of that. Truly.

This is all so wonderful, especially for a first year for this garden.

I didn’t get around to buying poblano plants this year, but those are really beautiful peppers. My peppers are meh, this year. The plants are sitting there doing not much. I have jalapeno, bell, serrano, Thai hot, hananero. None of them happy, I think too much rain in May, June.

Tomatoes a bust too. I switched to only grape tomatoes because they have been the most successful for me the past few years and they are versatile and yummy, but this year they are just sitting there.

The lettuces are mostly done, radishes too. Onions are coming nicely. Still getting beets.

Cilantro and dill everywhere, they both self-seed themselves.

Green beans coming on fast. Cukes starting. Zukes starting. Cukes starting. Lots of broccoli. Lots of kale.

Eggplants not doing much.

Have been harvesting kohlrabi. Cabbages not doing much.

At the end of the month will be planting a fall crop of spinach, lettuces, radishes. My mileage varies with fall crops.

1 Like

Nice. I have not been able to get my green beans to do anything. Had two out of about 8 actually sprout (finally) then they just sat there, like your tomatoes. I replanted a few days ago and am awaiting any luck with them.

We only managed to get 5 of our five gallon buckets planted with two large urns and our 4 foot by 4 foot cinderblock raised bed. Just a little garden this year. Maybe double up next spring.

Have you seen him lately in the Chantix commercials? I’m now disappointed in him going the plastic surgery route.

His facial skin is now so taut, really pulled back looking. You can barely see his lips move when he talks.

Sad.

So sorry to hear about your daughter. Yes, indeed, mental health in the U.S. is not taken seriously. Anxiety disorders are horrible to deal with. if it’s any help, to you (or to @BillBrown) is meditation. Take some deep breaths, and engage in one of the guided sessions on Youtube.

There’s also a CD that my psychiatrist recommended to me called Indigo Dreams, that guides through deep breathing, visualizations, muscle relaxation techniques, and affirmations for teens/adults with anxiety, stress disorders and anger issues. I think that it might be of some help, to you both as well.

1 Like

*former psychiatrist

(I wish we could edit posts :confused: )

Late to the party, but PEACE be with you as well.

1 Like

Thank you I will look that up see if it is on iTunes.

She goes to Reiki once a week to at least get her into a relaxed state.
It seems to help her for a while.

She will be beginning Medicine treatment soon, the Psychiatrist prescribed Zoloft to start see how that works for her. It will be a 8 week gradual build up to her recommended dosage.

Found another girl who is older now that is willing to talk to my daughter she was diagnosed the same Anxiety disorder as my daughter. She been doing well on her meds and able to deal with life better. So hope to help give her some hope to have someone else to talk too who has similar issues and is functioning better since her medicine treatment.

1 Like