Dallas DA announces he will not prosecute crimes valude under $750

Then shouldn’t the amount of -$- criminal activity be higher to include their rent as well?

That’s the problem with this.

It rewards criminals.

There’s a difference between being poor and being a criminal.

I like my plan a lot better.

Looks like per the article a subsequent poster linked, misdemeanor crimes will not require bail, & will earn the convicted 6 months probation. The man has a point.

Excessive bail is forbidden per the U S Constitution, and if the mindset of many of the doers is, as pointed out in the article, that eventually they’ll be serving prison time, so they may as well get it over with, why not legalize marijuana & show them an alternative? Maybe they can get their acts together with a probation officer.

He does have a plan for reducing incarceration for petty offenses. I hope in the long run it works.

Like your idea.

But how does six months probation reward anyone? Mom did probation work before retiring.

These guys and girls aren’t free to do any & everything their hearts desire—at least not without the officer’s permission.

Wanna change jobs? Give a landlord notice and move? Get married? Gotta notify that officer.

There are even regular drug tests & and individual whose job it is to make sure nobody’s submitting another’s urine or watering down theirs. The individual actually watched charges submit the specimen.

Maybe Mr. Creuzot’s plan won’t work in the long one. But at least he’s developed an idea to reduce incarceration for marijuana and other petty offenses.

Hmm, having experienced credit card theft when my teenager was a baby, that thief wasn’t buying desperation items, and I had to show id when I went to certain venues & used my new credit card, as the thief used it in some of the same places.

Dinner at an expensive seafood place is desperation? An X Box at Target?

Don’t think so. But had the offender had no priors, I would probably not have supported prison time.

As pointed out in your linked article, something like a month in Dallas County Jail & $150,000 bail for what amounted to under $200 theft? That’s ridiculous, & it appears that is what John Creuzot is trying to eliminate. Maybe prosecutors’ time can be better spent pursuing offenders worse than potheads & petty thieves.

Does this mean that when a Construction company or another company gets
caught allowing illegal immigrants to work for them, that they won’t be prosecuted? lol.

The problem is that he is announcing it to everyone. The better thing to do is to keep all prosecutorial decisions internal, no need to announce it.

1 Like

It’s a better deal then the proposed universal income plan. At lease this way they have to do a little work for the handout.

He don’t get votes that way.

1 Like

I don’t know in the case of this topic, but not all probation is like that.

There is supervised and unsupervised probation. Unsupervised is just that. It’s more of just a “don’t get caught doing anything else wrong” type thing.

1 Like

And a licence to steal and free card out of jail for thiefs.