Dallas DA announces he will not prosecute crimes valude under $750

I would love to have more context on why $750 is number that’s being discussed. Does it have something to do with how thefts are categorized inside the system? I have a feeling that there’s a meta and administrative reason for such a number, since normally people would default to something much lower.

Even steeling food, guess what SOMEONE has to pay for it. That would be the honest people who shop by paying higher prices so those “less fortunate” can go ahead and steal what they need.

And I’ll say it again, SOMEONE is going to pay for what these people steal. It’s going to be the honest people who will pay a higher price.

But hey, we can afford it right? Not like the stores will only increase prices on items likely to be stolen and not prosecuted for.

Sounds like an idea to clean crime off the streets by giving thieves the green light to enter a house in Texas where a lot of people are armed. Nothing can go wrong with this law.

No.

“I have instructed my intake prosecutors to dismiss all misdemeanor criminal trespass cases that do not involve a residence or physical intrusion into property,” he wrote in the letter.“All pending criminal trespass cases meeting these guidelines will be dismissed, and, where appropriate, will be referred for outpatient mental health services.”

This policy is a guideline for how his prosecutors are supposed to deal with the annoying and mentally ill homeless man/woman who is not allowed in a store anymore because they think they can barter random items for a bag of chips. This DA intends to stop them from getting in an infinite loop of criminal prosecution because they keep going to the same Walgreens parking lot.

To have food medicine cloths and like for free with this licence to steal is a damn good deal.
You think the New Green Deal was a big thing…wait till people start this new life style.
Liberalism IS a disease…this proves it.
Wait and see how many low-lives will move now to Texas now.
That’s the main purpose for this idiocy.

It was dumb to begin with.

Allan

Explain it please.

Sounds like vote whoring to me.

1 Like

What bag of chips costs $750?

Take the same restraint that law enforcement uses when dealing with people sneaking into movies and stealing seats, and use it on mentally ill homeless people snatching potato chips from a Walgreens.

$750…

I suspect there is a meta and administrative reason for that specific number. I’m not interested enough to dive into the details and find out.

It’s not because that’s what a bag of chips cost. Not even meta chips.

I know where the number comes from. Good luck.

What he is doing is advertising that there will be no consequences for certain theft under this specified amount.

No. Just no.

I hate thieves. I don’t care about the reasoning for it. I may understand why, but I cannot tolerate it.

Why not try this instead. Tax credits. If a business donates food or other necessity items to a person or persons in need they can be “reimbursed” with a tax write off for the cost of the good. They keep their own copy of the paperwork (maybe a special receipt) and then turn it in. Gives them an incentive.

Of course there would need to be measures to avoid fraud. But that sounds like a plan that actually helps the poor rather than incentivizing criminality.

I hope somebody steals his phone. Then gets caught. :wink:

Yeah… very annoying when people take a politicians actual words and try to explain them into something they didnt actually say…

Very annoying…

Where did they get that number?

Roughly the USDA estimate for a low cost food plan for a family of 4 for a month. Rounded down $14.

He’s going to have to crawfish.