COVID Mitigation Questions

Our elementary school is going to offer an option of being physically in school or stay at home with virtual school over ipads. Hopefully enough will want to stay at home to reduce the size even further. And for those at school there are to be other precautions taken that are not yet detailed.
If any school has an outbreak then it may be temporarily closed down and switched to virtual.

It’s going to linger for a while.

1 Like

How important is socialization in school-aged children?

I think we can safely assume adolescents won’t be giving up sex, no matter how bad it gets.

I think they already are. But I didn’t say anything about sex.

I have always maintained that there will be a huge mental health crisis once this pandemic is behind us. Depression, drug abuse, alcohool abuse, domestic violence to name but a few.

This is a pandemic with no easy answers. Every solutjon has some negative consequence.

On my block, that is not a question, there are so many kids.
The bigger question is how many parents need a place to put their kids while they go to work.

It’s going to be a question.

School isn’t the only place to socialize. If my kids were still younger, I’d be keeping them home and they would get supervised socialization with the children of other parents I judged to be halfway decent at masking, hygiene and social distancing. Even if that’s less socialization it’s only for a year, hopefully.

I don’t see adolescents giving up anything. I live near a school yard. There seem to always be teenagers handing out in groups around there, often in the basketball courts.

Love, kissing and hand holding, all part of sex.

Something I told my kids all the time growing up when they said so and so is allowed to do it, their parents don’t love them very much sweetheart.

That’s going to change. Little kids socializing through a mask?

Stop dude.

for some it’s just a slight psychological adjustment. But for others who have no other contact with people except at work… it’s a wild card and could produce socially significant negative effects.

Just my guess though.

For a year or so. They’ll survive. Compare this to polio, yikes.

1 Like

Is it slight for some because they believe it’s temporary?

You hope. There’s not going to be an effective vaccine.

Then natural herd immunity. Though I admit that isn’t guaranteed to happen either. Humans are prettty adaptable, we will figure something out. If I am overly optimistic, so be it.

Hopefully hand shaking goes away so I can stop getting the “homie” or “brother” hand shake from my white co workers.

Plus I don’t like handshaking anyway.

I’m an introvert