COVID-19: A disease that targets the elite?

Nope…it’s called math and the science of epidemiology with previous pandemics as models for us, but thanks in advance for playing.

And common sense- there are obviously more “real cases” out there than confirmed cases. There have to be.

Ah ok i thought you were talking about legionnaires and that it is unknown why travelers are infected with it. My bad

If it’s hitting travelers disproportionately it’s because they likely traveled where there are more cases and they up their exposure chances.

Just like famous people likely come in contact with more people than “non-famous people” (on average), so…

OK. That is a good start.

Is there an air handling, group congregation, environment change that makes contracting the virus more likely?

Those are the types of questions I think may help unlock the “elite” mystery.

Right now they are getting tested a bit more. I am not convinced this alone explains it.

:airplane:

Studies seem to indicate airline air handling systems are not responsible for enhanced spread of any viruses. The heats of compression of those systems tend to destroy microorganisms.

Other studies DO show air handling systems in general (buildings, etc) might be complicit in spreading the virus- not sure this would bias towards famous people over non-famous.

But seriously, right now we are suffering from a paucity of data. We are at the beginning of this pandemic…we need to be careful not to try and draw any early conclusions.

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson exhibited symptoms that indicated that they may have contracted the coronavirus. As a result they were tested for that reason not because they were Tom Hanks and his wife. The only thing that was problematic was the amount of vegemite on their toast.

1 Like

Certainly.

Not drawing conclusions. Observing the trends and anomalies is good discussion.

I was thinking more in line with airport rather than airplane or cruise ship air handlers.

:airplane:

The confirmed cases are the real cases.

No there doesn’t.

Yes there have to be.

It’s how things work.

People are sick before they talk to the doctor.

People are of course also infectious before they have symptoms.

No, there doesn’t. There doesn’t “have to be” anything. We could wake up tomorrow with no trace of anything.

How many new cases in Italy today?

No we could not.

Not unless something that violates the laws of physics happens.

Why are you doing this? Serious question.

Of course we could, miracles happen every day.

No…they don’t.

Come on man!

First off it’s all about credibility and everyone who pushed the Russian collusion hoax have zero.

Dosen’t leave much does it?

Oh ye of little faith…

Stay in the boat…

Just announced West Virginia now has confirmed cases.

Which is due to their traveling much more than the general public and close contact with others that travel heavily.

UPDATE:

The British Prime Minister, Health Secretary, and Prince Charles have all tested positive as questions are raised about how they got tests that are unavailable for the rest of the population:

One possibility for the relatively large number of people in the elite testing positive has simply been the availability of tests; the elite’s rates of infection are not much different from the rest of the population but they have access to the tests. That scenario agrees with a controversial study that estimates that 50% of the British population may already been exposed to the virus:

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/experts-critical-of-controversial-report-suggesting-half-the-uk-has-already-had-covid19/

That theory can be put to the test with a recently announced test that shows who has developed antibodies to the virus:

If a large part of the population already has antibodies without serious illness, then the epidemic may soon end through “herd immunity” without large loss of life. That would be very good news.

1 Like

Yes I’ve been calling for those tests to be run since forever.

Glad the rest of the world is catching up to my brilliance.

:sunglasses:

Yes, doing antibody tests on a random sample of the population could give a good estimate about the true number of people who have developed immunity without significant symptoms.

The results could greatly assist in planning.