COVID-19: A disease that targets the elite?

Well obviously they just did it wrong.

My guess would be testing and better access to healthcare.

1 Like

I dunno why but the whole premise of this thread made me think of “FOXDIE” virus from metal gear solid.

Why do you think that Tom Hanks and his wife were treated any differently to anyone else?

Speaking of the poms this might be a little too close to reality:

The US has roughly 3000 confirmed cases out of over 300 million people. That means only about 1 in 100,000 has a confirmed infection on average.

The number of NBA players is 15 x 30 = 450. Three of them have publicly admitted to testing positive. That rate is almost 1000 times higher than that for the general population.

Defining a celebrity is somewhat nebulous, but the rate of infection is probably 100 to 1000 times higher than the general population for celebrities and their spouses. Celebrities would include Hollywood stars, senior government officials, sports stars, etc.

Here is a list of famous people who have publicly admitted to having the virus:

The actual numbers could be much higher since many people may choose to keep the test result a secret. When you consider how many people who have contact with just these known cases, many times more are probably in self-isolation and many more may test positive.

1 Like

Those that criss/cross the world and have a greater probability of being among large crowds, have the greatest probability of catching this…early on. Once they bring it home and infect others, this same thing again plays out but on a smaller scale. Those that get out in their community have a greater probability of catching this virus.

1 Like

Yes, celebrities may act as super-spreaders to infect large numbers of people.

Good observation and question.

Don’t forget impeachment lawyer Daniel Goldman.

Seems to me the common denominator is travel.

Could have a similar vector association to Legionnaires.

Targets travelers would be another way to phrase it.

:airplane:

It’s access do you know how and when the random nba teams got diagnosed. They sat them in the locker room and told them to wait then tested them all.

It’s access plain and simple.

No it doesn’t target travelers it hits them because of poorly cleaned air conditioners.

The level of… i just can’t.

I personally don’t think that.

The rich and the famous are able to make idiots care by scaring them through their TV.

Yes.

10 chars

This is all unknown.

This is a discussion.

Don’t pretend you know.

The association looks worth exploring.

West Virginia…No international ports or airport traffic. Just saying.

There will be plenty of time to study this in detail.

The level of unknown is the greatest right now.

3,000 (actually 4,000 now) confirmed cases likely means there are an order of magnitude or more real cases/positive tests.

There are probably in actuality 100,000 or so people who would have tested positive for the virus had we found them.

Using confirmed cases as your benchmark is not a good idea.

Plus…celebrities travel more and likely have more person to person contacts than the average person…which would be another factor why they might end up seeming to be “disproportionately affected”.

Celebrities are not representative of the population as a whole…they likely have a different risk profile.

Finally, this is just getting started. Most pandemics last 20-24 months. Therefore we still are in a time of “sparse data” and therefore local fluctuations from the norm are quite possible.

Might be interesting to study countries like South Korea where there is a lot of data, have a good definition of a “celebrity” and see how those celebrity infection rate compare to the rest of the population.

What do you mean? Legionnaires disease has a specific source. It is a bacterial infection. It’s source is known. I am not pretending anything.

This isn’t a subject worth exploring.

Legionella viruses grew in condensate and chilled water systems of commercial buildings that did not have the means to chemically treat the water to kill the bacterium while on line.
First and most devastating cases popped up in VA Medical centers causing the deaths of hundreds of mostly elderly patients.

I did not imply that Corona was “like” legionnaires in any way other than there may be a travel vector that helps propagate transmission.

The association with travel will undoubtedly be examined.

1 Like

Much better to pull numbers out of our collective 4th POC.