Cornell University leads the way with its vaccination program

No.

The unvaccinated are

• 6 X more likely to test + for CoV-19
  • 37 X more likely to be hospitalized for CoV-19
  • 67 X more likely to die due to CoV-19 related illness

Compared to vaccinated.

Well, that’s not quote what he said, which was:

95% efficacy means 95% will not get the disease, the other 5% can.

Which is also flat out wrong.

Apparently, I wasted my money on my epidemiology classes in Graduate School. Can I get my money back?

Yeah, you should have just sent more time here amongst Those Who Know Everything.

Still not what it means. 95% efficacy means that for every 100 people who got covid in the unvaccinated control group 5 in the vaccinated group got covid.

Facts now equals propaganda.

Allan

Yes, a twitter post about statistics from one county in Washington State is the final answer.

The statistics about the number of cases are highly suspect since the reduced symptoms make less likely that the vaccinated get tested. Israeli data shows that the Pfizer vaccine is only 39% effective against the Delta variant.

New variants continue to evolve to bypass the vaccines, and the immunity produced by the vaccines drops rapidly after a few months.

Vaccines are a game of whack-a-mole.

The Times has zero credibility when it comes to anything with political implications.

If they cite a study, please send a link to that.

you are wrong. it means quite litteraly that the vaccine works for 95% of those who get it, and does not work for 5% during the time its effective (6-9 months). that 5% still benefit from not getting as sick as those unvaccinated as do the 95% once their immunity wanes. bottom line here is that everyone who can get covid (some are immune for whatever reason) will eventually get covid. what you are describing would mean everyone has a 5% chance of getting covid even when the vaccines antibodies are active, and that 5% also would mean everyone will eventually get covid. in your scenario, they would get it with active antibodies and that is simply not true.

Link?

That is not what it means.

From the article:

A close-up video of the crowd showed Trump supporters chanting “F*ck Joe Biden!”

Trump supporters chanting. Color me surprised. Why even link to this partisan crap?

you are describing the methodology, not the conclusion.

95% efficacy means the vaccine will work for 95% of those who get it. they will be 100% immune while the vaccines antibodies are active. for 5% it will not work, they get no immunity and they can get covid anytime after vaccination. and that is exactly how it played out until delta where the efficacy drops to 42-45%. now leftists are scrambling to explain away 95% vs 44% in an effort to convince people to still get vaccinated with a low efficacy vaccine. its dumb. inform people of the benefits even if the vaccine fails to give you immunity instead of trying to explain why 95% is not 95%.

So, for example, let’s imagine a vaccine with a proven efficacy of 80%. This means that – out of the people in the clinical trial – those who received the vaccine were at a 80% lower risk of developing disease than the group who received the placebo. This is calculated by comparing the number of cases of disease in the vaccinated group versus the placebo group. An efficacy of 80% does not mean that 20% of the vaccinated group will become ill.

when did i say will? you keep repeating that lie. i said “can”. and thats the truth.

Yes, the vaccine makers claim 90+% efficacy based on misleading data taken before the Delta variant and without considering the natural decline in immunity in the months after vaccination.

The alleged protection for the community ignores the fact that people with less obvious symptoms are more likely to continue to spread the virus like modern-day Typhoid Mary’s. It is far more likely that the vaccinated are killing the unvaccinated than the other way around.

Your definition of efficacy is not correct.

I’ve not heard anyone else other than you define it that way. How would they know what % “can” catch it? Can you provide a link to the methodology used to arrive at the conclusion that 5% of vaccinated can catch covid?

it is absolutely correct.

using the definition you guys are peddling, polio would still be prevalent

think about it. if 96% efficacy meant 100% of the vaccinated had a 4% chance of getting polio, over time, everyone would at some point get polio. 4% chance, day in, day out, day after day. but we don’t. why? because 96% efficacy means 96% of those who get the vaccine are 100% immune. they will never get polio.

Please post a link that refutes the links that explain what efficacy means.

I’ve posted WHO and some other cite. Here is another.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/clearing-up-covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-confusion.html

Let’s look at a hypothetical example. Let’s say 2,000 people take part in a vaccine trial. Of these, 1,000 get the vaccine and 1,000 get the placebo. Now let’s say that by the end of the trial, a total of 500 people get sick: 475 from the placebo group and 25 from the vaccinated group. Expressed as a percentage, 47.5% of unvaccinated people got sick, versus just 2.5% of vaccinated people.

From there, we figure out efficacy with an easy formula: the risk in the unvaccinated group, minus the risk among the vaccinated, divided by the risk among unvaccinated.

47.5 – 2.5 / 47.5 = 0.95

Our hypothetical vaccine’s efficacy is 95%.

Ethan Smith: If a vaccine has an efficacy rate of 66%, many people think that means they’ll still have a 34% risk of getting sick with COVID-19 after being immunized. That’s not true! Their risk will actually be much lower.

A 66% efficacy rate means your risk of getting sick, whatever it was before getting vaccinated, is reduced by 66%. Let’s say you were at high risk to begin with, due to your age or underlying conditions. Even if your risk was 25%, which is high, the vaccine would reduce your risk of becoming sick to 8.5% (a 66% reduction from 25%).