Cornell University leads the way with its vaccination program

Yes exactly, the whole outbreak has occurred with virtually everyone fully vaccinated.

The outbreak appears to be ending now that more of the student body has natural immunity in addition to the highly leaky vaccination.

If the vaccination is preventing a superspreader event under those conditions; why are we wearing masks?

1 Like

I am just laughing.

It has to get even more absurd I suppose.

Cornell should be embarrassed over such needless hand wringing and overbearing intrusion on its students. Mandating the vaccine was sufficient.

1 Like

What outbreak? they are having a couple cases a day.

I think they have to follow CDC and local guidelines despite the fact that they are exceeding national and local vax rates.

It’s a shame for the students, but were there to be a serious outbreak, they would be open to harsh criticism.

Calling it an “outbreak” isn’t at all accurate.

Cornell? I am just laughing at the administration.

Are they well intentioned mother hens being caring and cautious?

OR

Are they clueless domineering insecure monoliths with no feedback mechanism?

Either way they are out of order…broken…tilted…

That is where vaccine trust crumbles…they need to stop doing this.

1 Like

Delta changed the equation with the higher break trough cases and the ability of the vaccinated to spread the virus.

It’s a bummer to go backwards, but this is 100% new.

The good news is, whatever they are doing seems to be working. With winter coming, I’m sure they are hesitant to tamper with a. good thing. Hopefully this spring, things will change re: masks.

I do agree that CDC guidelines need to adapt to recognize highly vaccinated indoor settings. If 97% of the student body is vaccinated, I don’t think they should be required to wear masks in the classrooms or other student/staff only areas. but CDC does not have specific guidance.

Adding:

This is wear they are coming from:

With the spread of the more contagious Delta variant, communities across the country are experiencing increases in positive COVID-19 cases among unvaccinated and vaccinated populations. This increase is also occurring in Tompkins County, where health officials have reported 15 new positive cases today, bringing the total of new positive cases in the county over the past seven days to 59. These cases have been attributed to large indoor gatherings and domestic travel.

As a result, earlier today, Tompkins County Health Department (TCHD) issued a health advisoryencouraging all local organizations to have employees and patrons wear masks when indoors, regardless of vaccination status. To ensure the safety of our campus and surrounding community, Cornell will comply with the TCHD’s guidance. Effective immediately, all faculty, staff, students and visitors are required to wear masks when inside campus buildings or facilities.

Would look pretty bad if the Ivy League school flaunted local advisement.

Yes, the outbreak appears to be subsiding after a substantial portion of the student body tested positive. Here is the quote from the OP:

As of Sept. 5, there were 233 new positives over the previous seven days. Over the last two weeks, there have been 434 new positives identified. . .

As of Sept. 5, 95 percent of the on-campus population has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Substantial portion?

There are 22,000 students at Cornel. Probably another 3,000 faulty and staff.

233 cases a week is 33 cases a day. That’s 0.132% of the population.

There was no outbreak, your premise is wrong

434 positives out of a student and faculty population of 40,000

223 case is about 1% of the population infected in just one week.

The infection rate at Cornell was comparable to that during the recent outbreak in Florida, which was headline news over the summer. Florida has a huge elderly population, and roughly 10 times the fraction of the population is unvaccinated.

In both cases natural immunity has ended the outbreaks. In neither case did vaccinations prevent the outbreaks.

Science!

Why? Is that science?

Good Lord. How do you live like that? Oh, it’s somebody else…not you.

Huh?

Yeah, 223 cases PER WEEK - which is not how daily covid cases are generally reported - is 0.1% a day.

That’s not an outbreak.

It’s the reality of operating a university. Really damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

But the local authorities asking for masks indoors is really the determiner here. “Those darn ivy leaguers flaunting local health officials! I guess they think the rules don’t apply to them…”

You know that’s what would happen.

If there is not outbreak and it’s because of the vaccine, there is no need for face diapers.

1 Like

LIke I said, the local health officials asked for it, and if they didn’t adopt that strategy, they would have been chastised for not following the local health officials during a pandemic.

Not science then.

Okay, please tell the media that their summer meltdown about COVID in Florida was way overblown since an outbreak never occurred.

During August, Florida was averaging about 20000 cases per day in a population of roughly 20 million. That works out to an infection rate of about 0.1% per day, the same as Cornell’s.

2 Likes