Cop Enters Wrong Apartment, kills Neighbor - No Charges

Yes, he certainly is. The posts don’t leave any real doubt about it.

The police do the investigations, if they find probable cause they get an arrest warrant and the prosecution files charges. That’s the way it’s done.

Some seem to have wanted the police officer arrested first, then evidence gathered later. That’s not how this works, whether it’s a police officer involved or a regular person.

No. I said she should have been arrested the night of the shooting. It took multiple days. I then said she should probably be charged with manslaughter. It took multiple days for this to happen. But hey it’s a cop so you will defend her.

Saying someone should be arrested after walking into someone’s apartment and killing them isnt “jumping to conclusions”. Its amazing how you and others do willingly start thinking irrationally when it’s a cop.

2 Likes

The notion that there wasnt probable cause for an arrest is laughable. If it was the black guy walking in on her, he would have been arrested on the spot. Whoops sorry didnt mean to it wasnt manslaughter just a big whoopsies

Not even close…it’s a shame the first thing we think when a black person is shot if they have a record…

Jean, a native of Saint Lucia, was a graduate of Harding University in Arkansas and was an employee at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas. He was known as a worship leader at the university, where officials mourned his death at chapel services Friday. “The entire Harding family grieves today for the loss of Botham Jean, who has meant so very much to us. Please join us in praying for Botham’s friends and family,” the university said in a statement. “This is a terrible tragedy,” a PricewaterhouseCoopers spokeswoman said in an email. “We are simply heartbroken to hear of his death.”

There is no excuse for this and regardless of how sorry the cop is, she needs to be prosecuted for at least the minimum charge of manslaughter.

4 Likes

Poorly written article.
"the officer mistakenly entered his home thinking it was hers and opened fire."

The reporter cannot know what she thought when she entered his home.
It should read "she claims she entered his home thinking it was hers ".

Since the key didn’t work, has any article stated how she got in the apartment? Did he open the door to his own spot to see who the hell was at the door and got shot immediately?

I heard the victim opened the door.

Anyone else would be held in custody, while the investigation is ongoing, she was off duty, should be treated as a civilian and should of been held in custody like anyone else would be, you get jailed for speeding tickets for goodness sakes, right or wrong, she killed someone in their own home. She should be in custody for as long as this investigation takes place. Period…

1 Like

Have to agree with this. Unless one is extremely drunk, there is no way that you would not know which apartment is yours.

I just saw her statement on the news.
Her apartment was on the 3rd floor. His was on the 4th.
She got on the wrong floor because she parked on the 4th floor of the parking garage instead of the 3rd where she usually parked. Why, it didn’t say.
She went to what she thought was her apartment and the door was slightly ajar. It was dark inside and she saw a shadowy figure. She drew her gun and gave two loud verbal commands. The figure ignored them and she fired two shots, killing him.

It also pointed out that there was a bright red doormat in front of the apartment. Tacky and very obvious. Her apartment had none.

She needs at least a manslaughter charge. Maybe a burglary charge tacked on to it.

OK, well that is different from what we heard before. The previous story was that she tried to unlock the door and the key wouldn’t work. Obviously the reason why was because she was at the wrong door.

Anyway, the victim opened the door and then was shot.

That’s what I heard over the weekend.

No way of knowing which story is true as there were no witnesses and of course the victim is deceased.

But even if this version is correct, how was her firing on him justified? She says the figure ignored her commands. So he didn’t try to come after her or anything like that. How was he a threat?

I understand going to the wrong floor if each floor looked the same. But not knowing it was not her own apartment makes no sense. She had just gotten off a 12 hour shift so am sure she was tired. Even so, it still makes no sense.

I agree that based on what we know a manslaughter charge is most likely here.

I lived in a lot of apartments in my life, worked 36 hour shifts, been inebriated. Albeit not falling down stumbling kind. And I’ve never mistaken someone else’s place for my own.

I really dont see how she walks from this.

1 Like

Had it actually been her apartment, she would have acted within Texas law.
If you find someone in your home uninvited, that alone is considered a threat and allows the use of deadly force.

I never have either.
I was at a block party once and a guy sent me to his house to get some more beer. I went to the wrong house. The door was open and I went in. I was in his ice box looking for beer and the owner walked up on me. I apologized, explained it to him and he just told me to get the hell out of there. I did.

100% agree

You just keyed in on what her defense will be. Not that she was drunk but rather she was sleep deprived which has been shown in studies to make someone impaired both mentally and physically like alcohol. Moderate sleep deprivation produces impairments in cognitive and motor performance equivalent to legally prescribed levels of alcohol intoxication - PMC

She had just got off a 15 hr shift and who knows how much sleep she had gotten prior to that. Many police departments, Dallas being a prime example, are pushing officers into working massive amounts of overtime due to staffing shortages. I for instance worked 41 hrs of overtime last week due to staffing shortages - yesterday was my first day of in a week and I’m back to work for another 12 hr shift in about 1.5 hrs. Welcome to policing in 2018. Her attorney will likely argue that too much work and not enough sleep made her impaired much alcohol.

None of this excuses what happened but manslaughter is clearly the appropriate charge and I’d say she has a shot, not a great one, but a shot of getting it reduced to involuntary if her attorney can successfully argue the sleep deprivation angle. There are countless examples of drunk people entering the wrong apartment to fall back on.

How dare they follow the Constitution and the 8th amendment by granting her bail.

Here is a recent story about ESPN host Ryen Russillo mistaking a neighbor’s condo for his own and drunkenly entering it and then refusing to leave. Read the article I linked about sleep deprivation giving you drunk like impairment. ESPN Host Arrested for Allegedly Entering Wrong Condo While Drunk – The Hollywood Reporter