Cop Enters Wrong Apartment, kills Neighbor - No Charges

There is zero evidence to suggest race has played any part in this shooting or the investigation.

You people need to get some new material.

The residents are doing a better job than police in disproving Guyger’s claims. When it was initially reported that Guyger struggled to unlock the door, a resident came forward and showed the doors and lights that flash red and make it obvious that you’re at the wrong door.

Naturally Guyger and DPD had to change their story and claim that the door was actually “ajar”… Here’s a resident showing that poo doesn’t fly either.
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1039610468791459840?s=19

The case went to the Grand Jury and the two supposed witnesses testimony was completely contradictory.

Apparently the apartment building is one of those that all the floors have the same plan and decor, she parked one level off from her level, entered the building went to what she thought was her door, inserted the key and found the door ajar.

She was alerted then to a possible intruder, drew her weapon and when approached fired.

She won’t be getting off.

I agree. Race didn’t play a part, stupidity did. You’ve got to be an absolute moron to not only walk into the wrong house, but to kill the person that lives there.

That would be a good way to get yourself shot.

Not at all difficult with a cookie cutter building plan.

What I don’t get is how she was so out of it she didn’t notice the numbers on the doors.

1 Like

She claims when she opened the door she saw a sillouette. So if her claim is true, either he was sitting in a room without any lights on (which doesn’t make sense) or he got out of bed when he heard a noise and went to see what it was.

An earlier version of her story was she was struggling to get the door open and then he opened it himself.

Either way it looks very, very bad for her.

Here is more from the NYT today:

To get to Mr. Jean’s apartment, Officer Guyger would have had to walk past 15 to 20 apartments — many of which have distinct wreaths, doormats and trash cans, Ms. Kinsey said. Mr. Jean, for instance, had a red doormat outside his apartment.

“It doesn’t look the same,” she said. “So my main question is: What was she doing?”

Mr. Merritt, the lawyer, said that that the officer and Mr. Jean did not know each other but that she lived in a unit below Mr. Jean, who had received noise complaints from a downstairs neighbor. He said the apartment complex uses electronic keys, which blink red when used incorrectly. Officer Guyger’s key was found in the doorway of Mr. Jean’s apartment, he said.

I can understand how a mistake can be made in a cookie cutter apartment building.

None of this adds up right to me however unless she was UTI or utterly exhausted.

Either way it’s a tragedy that never should have occurred. Her career as a cop is over and she’s going to end up doing time probably for some form of 2nd degree murder or Manslaughter. I’d have to look up the statutes to be sure which way it should go.

I lived in many cookie cutter apartments and I have never went to a wrong one… Including when I was 3 shades in the wind drunk.

Ok I looked.

The delay in the arrest came because as an LEO the case had to be referred to the Texas Rangers for investigation.

Once they completed their review they deemed the charges appropriate and asked the DA to file.

She’s facing a charge of manslaughter which seems appropriate under the circumstances.

Yep, and epic fail from start to finish. At the very least it looks like involuntary manslaughter.

No, it was voluntary, she purposely used a deadly weapon causing his death.

I’ve said many times I can understand not realizing she was on the wrong floor if all the floors were the same.

However, the NYT points out she would have walked past many other doors before getting to what she thought was hers, with distinctive wreathes and other things, and the victim had a large red mat outside his door. How did she miss all of that?

Yes she will most likely do some time, looks like manslaughter at least and perhaps an even more serious charge.

I’m saying most likely because other cops have gotten away with shootings that did not appear justified. For example, the man Castile from Minnesota, as well as the SC cop who shot an unarmed man who was running away from him and then planted evidence.

So it’s not a guarantee she will serve time, but based on what we know she certainly should.

1 Like

I said “at the very least”. But I do agree yours seems to better fit the situation. But if you read through the definitions of the various manslaughters it can get a bit tricky.

Yep. And my first reaction to any perceived threat isnt shoot shoot shoot

1 Like

I was reading through all of the manslaughter types and came across an example that seemed to fit. A hunter shooting a person thinking it was a deer. That was an example of 2nd degree manslaughter. There is no way out for her on this one. You can’t just walk into someone’s house and start shooting, even if by mistake. You are responsible for your own actions. The actual shooting was certainly no mistake.

1 Like

A judge reportedly said he wouldn’t sign off on an arrest warrant for manslaughter because what was being described is murder.

2 Likes

Well sure, probably because there was a lack of provocation. Described as, causing a reasonable person to become temporarily mentally disturbed. If that doesn’t exist (it did not) it could be charged as murder. That’s what I think he’s going by. They could look at second degree murder.

1 Like

Murder is a homicide with malice and aforethought. I doesn’t fit the facts as reported

That is one of the reasons, but not the only one. The intent to cause serious bodily harm is another. That was her intent when she pulled and fired the gun, we can’t argue that. But they do take into account the situation so I am leaning more towards second degree Manslaughter over second degree murder. Because with murder there is a level of intent involved.