Congress vote to strip names of Confederate bases in veto-proof vote

Because I really get tired of people attributing things to me I never said.

Because all of the soldiers in these bases are from the South as well.

Nodā€¦

1 Like

Words cannot express how little what building is named after who actually matters, imo.

1 Like

Right, those statues werenā€™t offensive until the 21st century. Base names werenā€™t offensive until the 21st century.

This is just crybabies bored with their old material and looking for something new to cry about.

1 Like

Progress and cultural shifts must happen immediately or they arenā€™t valid?

1 Like

More like waking up one day and needing to be offended by something.

Fascinating.

But thatā€™s exactly how what you said came off.

So if you didnā€™t mean that, what did you mean?

1 Like

I agree they should be voted on.

But there was major resistance to that as well.

And there is no question these statues werenā€™t put up because of ā€œheritageā€.

They were put up in response to nascent civil rights movements in the late 1890s-1900s, when the United Daughters of the Confederacy invented the ā€œNoble Lost Causeā€ narrative, and then again in the mid-20th Century, when civil rights movements started up again.

And the arguments in this thread to keep them named the same are silly.

I donā€™t really care what the bases are namedā€¦I find the defense of keeping them named the same sillyā€¦and interesting.

3 Likes

What does that have to do with renaming bases?

2 Likes

Wait, are we really supposed to rid the nation of all art that any group finds offensive?

1 Like

Read the discussion.

Art is all about intent and purpose. Why were these statues put up in the first place?

2 Likes

I did.

I donā€™t understand your point. Why is the fact that the south contributed to future wars relevant to the renaming of bases?

1 Like

Totally irrelevant. You failed of course to address the question?

If thatā€™s the bar you want to set youā€™re not going to like the outcome.

Obviously not but if true no amount of explanation is going to suffice so itā€™s not worth my time.

One might notice that itā€™s an extension of Trumpā€™s ā€œbeautiful world warsā€ things if Trump ever thought things through for three seconds or knew anything about history.

2 Likes

How do you think you learned who they were?

You think you were born knowing history?

1 Like

From crybabies making headlines.

Well at least you learned history somehowā€¦

1 Like