Congress vote to strip names of Confederate bases in veto-proof vote

The Senate has voted and in a landslide the bill passed making it impossible for the President to veto, the President is quite outspoken about not wanting this bill to pass so look forward to the Tweet storm coming. are Republican breaking with the President seeing with the possible election of Biden?

The Senate overwhelmingly approved a defense bill on Thursday that included Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s (D-MA) provision requiring the military to rename U.S. bases named after Confederate generals.

The bill passed by a vote of 86-14, a veto-proof majority that would override President Donald Trump’s effort to kill the measure, which he had threatened to do at the end of June after Warren announced her proposal.

“I will Veto the Defense Authorization Bill if the Elizabeth ‘Pocahontas’ Warren (of all people!) Amendment, which will lead to the renaming (plus other bad things!) of Fort Bragg, Fort Robert E. Lee, and many other Military Bases from which we won Two World Wars, is in the Bill!” he tweeted at the time.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/senate-approves-proposal-to-strip-confederate-names-from-army-bases-by-veto-proof-majority

4 Likes

I love that Trump will have to defend his stance on Confederacy!

Heritage! I wish him well.

1 Like

The problem is, the bill still has to go to the House of Representatives. While the House will obviously approve of the Warren provision, they will make other changes in the bill. The bill then must go to House/Senate Conference.

The provision will be in the final product, but the final product may not have veto proof support for reasons unrelated to the Confederate naming provision.

Only thing to do is wait and see.

Wanta bet a lot of members saw this poll?

1 Like

Well that’s stupid.

Opinion noted.

2 Likes

Doubtful since very few of us follow “The Hill”.

Who is “us”?

Do you not read your own posts?

Wanta bet a lot of members saw this poll?

It was blatantly obvious @GrandWazoo was talking about members of Congress. You know the ones who voted on it

6 Likes

Not in the least and none of you have any idea how many congress critters follow, “The Hill” either.

It’s not removing the statues that most of us have and issue about, it is removing structures based on mob rule and violence. I have no care for the confederacy and no ties to it at the same time things like this should be voted on and removed by the elected officials like they are doing now.

Leave them where they are, leave the names of our military bases as they are and teach the relevant history honestly.

If not for former Confederates and their offspring the US could have never won a major war in the post Civil War Era. We couldn’t have even been competitive in the fights.

2 Likes

Doubtful. Back in 2017, it was just removing statues through city council votes. MAGA country cared so much for the confederacy that they gave blessing to good people embedded in violent mobs chanting stuff about jews.

4 Likes

I am a hill person. So that’s two.

Allan

1 Like

Like it or not everyone has free speech rights in the US, even people we don’t like.

Nobody claimed those chanting such things were “good people” so quit saying things we all know not to be true.

Well goody for both of you. :grin:

If I were to attempt to decide whether or not this is a good idea, the only opinions I’d consider when contemplating this, are the votes of all veterans who served our country and based there.

Doubtful.

The South accounted for 32.6 percent of total investment and 13.3 percent of government spending on WWII supply contracts.

The South’s contributions to WWII were petrochemicals, aluminum, and men. Oil has nothing to do with the people who lived on top of it. Aluminum production can be credited to the excess power provided by TVA welfare, natural gas in Texas, and convenience of local bauxite in Arkansas.

Unless there was something particularly superhuman about southern men, claims that the US wouldn’t have been competitive during WWII are without merit.

9 Likes

The honest truth is that they rebelled against the United States to maintain the right to own human beings.

Allan

5 Likes