Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

does the rapper have sincere religious beliefs to prevent him from making said rap?

does he sell raps to others but not to police officers?

Allan

I have no doubt that he would make the cake for the twins.

The cake was a “gender transition cake” because that’s what the customer said it would be.

Had a man in a dress walked into the shop and asked for a pink cake with blue icing – nothing more said about it, just those two specifications – I would expect the shop to make the cake. But that’s not what happened.

So he’s never made a cake that is two different colors.

Pay attention!

It has been a commonly understood point in the cases raised against this baker that he most certainly WOULD serve all customers. It’s specific items that violate his religious beliefs – beliefs that the lawyer in the followup case absolutely knew – that he will not create.

The Lawuyer’s case is clearly a setup.

Too bad this smart lawyer didn’t think of that huh? But even if he had, symbols are reliant on context or would you see no difference in selling a cake with the message “remember the holocaust” to a Jewish group and selling the same cake to a KKK group celebrating the occurrence? Would the message conveyed by the cake remain the same in both instances if the cake were identical?

1 Like

He can sue. and he will lose.

all the CCCR must do is follow the SCOTUS directive and not unduly be disrespectful of his religious beliefs when making their judgement.

Its pretty easy to follow.

Allan

What message did the lawyer request be written on the cake?

Except it doesn’t.

So any artist doing custom work has to accept any and all commissions regardless of their content? Keep in mind the same CO commission has already ruled three times that bakers did not have to create custom cakes with religious or anti-gay messaging before you answer the question.

Symbols are speech.

And he was asked to make a cake with two different colors.

That he was told was a symbol of transitioning gender. If a KKK guy walks in and says he wants a custom cake in the shape of the cross that is a symbol of white supremacy, do I have to bake it?

For a very specific reason, in order to provoke a reaction. This was an action by the lawyer with a single purpose in mind. Put the baker out of business.

Once again, that is the ugly side of liberalism. Anyone or anything that doesn’t conform must be shutdown.

That really doesn’t answer the question.

And that is the irony here. If a KKK guy really wanted such a cake, would he go to the many bakeries that he knows wouldn’t give him the time of day or would he choose a bakery that he knows will bake him that cake?

Flip that around.

If the lawyer really wanted a cake, he would have chosen one of the many bakers who would have been happy to make him that cake. Instead the lawyer singled out the one bakery that has been in the news and that he knew with certainty wouldn’t bake that cake.

Why???

We all know why, even though LIBs will never acknowledge it. They will instead twist themselves into pretzels, while creating straw man arguments.

Kim Davis.

There’s an old tort action called tortious interference with business affairs. The baker may have an action to sue the lawyer for damages if it can be shown that the intent of the cake request was to damage or interfere with the business. Or perhaps a similar cause of action that reaches bad faith conduct.

This ^^

Yes it does, the cake was a symbol, which was intended to convey a specific message by his own admission.

Kim Davis was an elected official, sworn to uphold the law. As an elected official she was obligated to follow the law. If she was unable to do so for what ever reason, she should have resigned her position.

That has absolutely no relevance to a private business. Kind of the twisting into pretzel straw man argument I refer to in my earlier post.