Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

What they did not say is that an artist refusing to bake you a custom cake they didn’t want to make is an indignity. So what am I supposed to be protesting? They are going to lose this case, the only thing to protest here is his being targeted for his religious beliefs.

Sure, and when they lose this case it will have been followed.

Those are direct quotes from the SCOTUS opinion.

if you have a problem with the SCOTUS opinion. take it up with them.

Allan

Why did the lawyer choose this specific baker to make a cake he knew full well the baker would refuse to bake on religious grounds?

There can be only one answer.

Why debate here then if the truth and right of all matters is decided by judges?

The SCOTUS opinion is quite clear.

the baker being an artist is a moot point.

all parties must follow SCOTUS directives

disputes must be resolved with tolerance:

without undue disrespect to sincerely held religious beliefs AND without subjecting gay persons to indignities.

Its quite clear.

Allan

Nobody is disputing it was a partial quote from the ruling, what we dispute is your flawed interpretation of it and its applicability to this event.

If he regularly made gender transition cakes and sold them to non-transgender people but refused to sell it to a transgender person he would have a problem. But this is a custom cake he is under no obligation to make if he doesn’t want to for any reason. It’s like saying that I should be able to call up a liberal political cartoonist who sells his work and force him to draw me an ode to Donald Trump. Or order Ansel Adams to take some pictures of me clubbing some seals.

Lol, you are hilarious.

You dont like the SCOTUS opinion, huh.

duly noted.

But it doesnt change anything.

Allan

If someone came in and asked for that same exact cake to be made for their fraternal twins, one boy one girl, would he refuse? How is a cake inherently a “gender transition” cake.

Does he regularly make cakes with different colors on the outside and inside?

Test:
Let the same customer go into the shop and order a July 4 cake… red in the middle, and white and blue on the outside, with the message Happy Birthday America.

Will the baker refuse service? I doubt it.

1 Like

Nobody is forcing him to bake cakes for anyone… What the commission is saying is that if you want to CONDUCT business you have to serve ALL customers. He is free to bake or not bake all he wants but the State of Colorado can place requirements on how he conduct business.

A better test would be to ask him to bake the same exactly blue/pink cake for a birthday party for fraternal twins. Would he refuse service for them?

Does a rap artist regularly make music with lyrics? If so, then according to your logic, he should be compelled to make a song for white cops saying “white police are your friends”

I agree. It most definitely looks like the commission thinks they can get a “do over”.

Bad form. Were I a judge there and someone would be trying to pull this before my court I would laugh my ass off as I tossed them out of court and to the clerk to have them fork over a check to the cake shop owner for any expenses he might have incurred by the set up.

1 Like

He didn’t refuse to serve that customer, he refused to create specific custom cake for that customer.

Who is paying this lawyer?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: A rap artist doesn’t accommodate the public.

Yeah, that’s is not going to hold up so well in court… Does he refuse to create specific custom cakes for other customers?