City of San Jose to Tax Constitutional Right

They voted to require liability insurance and a $25 tax for the right to own firearms.

Seems DC our congress people should re-focus from election rights to the Second Amendment. :grinning:

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Gun owners will soon be required to carry liability insurance and pay a fee in the city of San Jose that officials say would be the first of its kind in the United States

https://abc7news.com/san-jose-gun-law-control-laws-sam-liccardo/11508623/

1 Like

As a thought exercise, you have a right to free movement and liberty, but that isn’t a bar to being obligated to insure your car - or your jobsite.

Quote it please.

This is a serious piece of idiocy and a direct attack & tax on law abiding gun owners. It’s not like auto liability insurance where one has to insure for the possibility of damaging someone else’s property and/or causing personal injury.

The tax itself is discriminatory while making gun owning law abiding citizens responsible for gun crime committed by others. And just what are the fee funds to be used for anyway, defense fund for the criminal, I wouldn’t put it past them. :roll_eyes:

Good grief this is stupid, and it may hold up in a leftist activist California federal court, but I can’t believe it will pass SCOTUS.

1 Like

Crandall v Nevada

1 Like

In the Constitution.

1 Like

Immunities and Privileges. Been precedent since Articles, and formally understood as such since 1823.

Then why are BP checkpoints legal?

Because the SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that right to free movement (‘ingress and egress’) does not apply to ‘mode’ of travel. In other words, it applies to your person, not your conveyance.

:rofl: That’s horse ■■■■■

1 Like

You are only obligated to have financial responsibility for vehicles that you operate upon public roads.

Without looking it up I would guess that it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within city limits, regardless of tax paid and insurance in effect.

1 Like

I’m sure the Roberts court will ultimately prove hostile to liability insurance requirements for firearms, but the precedent that a fundamental right does not limit states’ authority to provide for public safety is older than the Constitution.

Your opinion has been offered.

“Cool. Cool cool. Cool cool cool.” - Abed

I live in a city where that is neither true nor untrue.

This will get struck down. Dancers are pandering for 1’s.

4 Likes

I mean, technically, Congress has the power of the purse, but the 2A exists. This is something that could go to the Supreme Court.

Can a right be taxed for liability?

people vote for the wrong party and get taxed all the time…

3 Likes

You should have to pay a tax to vote. Same thing, right?

3 Likes

No. The analogy that would work would be having to carry liability insurance for the candidates you voted for, which won’t happen because, you know, they are separate persons - not conveyances or murder tools.

We should tax free speech. A nickel every time you open your mouth. We should tax the press- they have to pay $20 for every article a news paper publishes or every story a news channel runs.

2 Likes