Christian who doesn't observe Christmas

I’m a Christian who does not observe Christmas as Jesus’ birthday.

1. There is no evidence that the early church observed Christmas. No mention in the New Testament of the Apostles, or anyone else, observing Christmas.
  2. If God had wanted us to celebrate Christ’s birthday, He would have told us the date Jesus was born.

Does anyone agree with me?

(disclaimer up front: I identify as agnostic)

I try to avoid the worst, usually secular aspects of the holiday - the excessive consumption, the more jarringly obnoxious carols and music, and the relentless marketing. The better aspects - gathering with loved ones and the spiritual connotations (both Christian and non-Christian) are worthy enough that the historical accuracy of the date doesn’t concern me.

I don’t agree with you about not observing Christmas.

You’re right that there is no evidence of early Church observation of Christmas – on any date. (Seems that the same could be said of Easter too.)

I have no problem with Traditions and traditions (both small- and capital-T). I see them as ways to encourage reverence and remembrance. Good on people who don’t need such reminders or encouragement, but I see nothing wrong with having such occasions and traditions.

2 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

I grew up with christian parents who did not observe most holidays for similar reasons. I dont follow their beliefs but I still don’t do holidays, just doesn’t mean the same to me now.

Nobody has to agree. Or disagree. Religion is personal. We have no business judging how others worship.

Before Constantine converted Rome to Christianity, Sol Invictus (Unconquered Sun) was celebrated on December 25th.

Jesus - the Unconquered Son of God. :thinking:

Yepp it has it roots in Roman theology.

Yule is on the 21st. Christmas (as most celebrate it) is pretty much a blatant rip off of Yule. :smile:

1 Like

Or the psychedelic-free version of Yule.

I see 31 July, not 25 Dec, as being the date Jesus was actually born.

My church does not observe Easter, either. Same reasons. We celebrate the Resurrection and the Lord’s Supper every Sunday.

At least the date does.

How do you arrive at that?

I don’t disagree that December 25th probably isn’t Jesus’s birthday but…one of the 365 is and I’m happy to celebrate it on that day, along with everyone else. I don’t look at the technical aspect of it but more towards the joy and positive spirit of the season. There’s so much doom and gloom in this world, it’s nice when the Christian world comes together and celebrates The Lord’s birthday.

3 Likes

No, the Sun of Righteousness:

But for you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings.
Malachi 4:2

1 Like

I like that one better.

Yes and no. You actually can find Christ’s Birthday by correctly dividing the Word of God. The date we celebrate in the West for his birthday isn’t really Jesus’s date of birth. but it certainly is related to his nativity. December 25 is within 24 hours of The angels annunciation to Mary. It is Christ’s conception day and therefore the day that God came to live among us in the flesh.

For those interested the way you can divide the Word of God on this subject is to understand the Jewish calander and what Zechariah’s priestly duty cycle was when he was visited by an angel to tell him of John the Baptist’s impending conception. that date is fixable. and Christ’s conception occurred when Elizabeth was 6 months along. The course of Mary’s pregnancy was uneventful and so the birthday is calculable within a day or two.

So Christmas is celebrated on his conception day. But Christ himself said to not celebrate his birth but his death. Elsewhere he said do not be a respecter of days. However I am reasonably sure that if a Christian properly understands the significance and import of his act of becoming a human pass over lamb and therefore the actual culmination of the salvation plan in his death; that a little celebration of his birth would still be OK.

2 Likes

I believe that God is particular about how we worship him.
We are not commanded to celebrate Jesus’ birthday. It is a man made holiday.

The only Biblical reference I know of regarding human concocted worship practices is the following:

Leviticus 10:1-3 King James Version (KJV)

10 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not.

2 And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.

Not exactly. We still celebrate the yule tide. If not for Christmas, nobody would even know what this pagan observance is. Including you or me. Am I right? We are pretty sure of the time for Easter. Being during Passover and all. But Christmas is not so clear. So in my opinion any random day will work. The spirit is more important than the actual day.