Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine Coronavirus cures?

If you don’t know what the point is by now you will never know.

No, no no…don’t start playing semantics. Let’s ditch “cure” and use the word “effective for treating Covid-19”… and there were and are tons of people claiming that in this thread and in right-wing media despite the lack of clinical evidence. There was also someone in this thread predicting that the death rate would become negligible around now as millions of doses were going to be given to patients around the country.

While it’s still possible, but not yet proven, that drug may be of some benefit in the right cocktail… it’s certainly not what people on the right began touting it to be.

Now whose playing semantics …

1 Like

You obviously…republicans were definitely talking about it was going to effectively treat the coronavirus in most people. You’re trying to dance around what the word “cure” means. Some definitely used the word cure and there are those who didn’t but for all practical purposes… if you’re stating that it is highly effective in treating the coronavirus, you’re essentially calling it a cure whether you use the word “cure” or not.

He pilloried the study for no reason.

So he didn’t have a point other than to confirm his bias.

Just read this study from New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016

This says that the trial of Remidisivir shows that roughly 7 of 10 people treated shown promising results in treating COVID 19 cases.

If Trump was “downplaying” the virus, it’s only because his advisors were also doing it at the time.

Cite some evidence, with timelines, where Trump downplayed the virus.

You are being ridiculous. “Cure” and “treatment” are two different words with different meanings. When I or anyone else says “treatment,” that’s what we mean, not “cure.” If you are conflating the two and attributing it to Republicans (which makes your accusation political) it’s you who is playing the semantics game, not me.

2 Likes

Pilloried? My my. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I enjoyed reading those articles. I posted the NEJM study above. While I was hopeful in the beginning that chloroquine would be a simple answer. The more I read the more I question chloroquine’s effectiveness.

Remdisivir seems to be having better effectiveness. But again time will tell.

1 Like

He accused the French folks who ran it of being questionable.

You want to bash people unless they can cite clinical evidence, then you’ll be waiting a very long time. Most clinical studies that are used as empirical evidence take a year or more to complete. Even one clinical study is not sufficient proof, the medical community will want more than just one positive study.

All anyone is saying is that with a viral inhibitor type drug like HCQ which has been around for 60 sixty years, if it has shown some promise, then doctors may prescribe it, especially when we don’t have any proven treatments for COVID-19.

It’s your choice, just tell your doctor that you refuse the use of any drugs for COVID-19 which have not been proven thru clinical studies.

2 Likes

If Trump was downplaying the virus, it’s only because someone else was downplaying it and not the commander? lol

I saw him on TV downplaying the threat until the day he declared a national emergency.

No…while treatment may be a more technical term, an effective treatment for a disease is a cure. A cure isn’t necessarily 100% effective.

Hydroxychloroquinone is not a “viral inhibitor”. Its an anti-parasitic and an immunosuppressive.

It is not approved for any on-label use in treating any viruses.

The studies are designed to read out in months, not years.

And no one is saying stop prescribing the drugs…simply stop selling them as miracle drugs.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

False hope is worse than no hope.

Almost a 2 point better

While it may take a long time to tell if a drug is minimally or moderately effective, it certainly would not take a long time at all to tell if a drug was “curing” just about everyone who took the medicine, like some on the right were claiming.

No one in this thread has suggested that it shouldn’t have had increased testing if there was some initial positive results… we were simply saying that it should not be sold as an effective treatment for COVID-19 before there was such evidence.

That’s statistically insignificant.

Tell it to your Mom. Your Dad doesn’t care. :stuck_out_tongue: