China targets $81B of US goods for tariff retaliation

Trump is trying to change the way CEO’s are paid?
He is suggesting we reel in Wall Street’s greed?

Trade wars are not the answer to the problem.

nope. I agree with Trump on the idea that bilateral agreements are much preferable to multi-lateral. Much easier to change an agreement that affects only 2 countries than one that effects 20. The first move in the trade negotiations was when the Chinese leader came to Washington and he and Trump agreed to the goal of reducing the trade deficit. Talks ensued, Chinese intransigence, particularly in the area of patent and copyright infringement is the problem. Trumps moves are the right moves. They are really the only moves to be made other than doing nothing, which would be worse.

WINNING!!!

10char

I blame both Republicans and Democrats alike who joined together to accomplish this for their donors. This all stems from NAFTA and what Ross Perot predicted would happen…period.

No.
That econimic policy was initiated under Reagan. Who also de-regulated the S&L industry. (how did that turn out?)

NAFTA did have both R’s and D’s support.

But the economic policy, is neoliberalism.

There is reason why the EU had to use flash cards to help Trump understand trade.

Most people since Reagan understand trading blocks. The US Canada and Mexico are all close sharing borders and all three impact trade.

Getting China to stop doing something does not fix it if they outsource it to one of their Asian trading partners to get around any agreements.

Keating Five

You want to point fingers at one side or the other. I see it clearly for the unified decision it was and hold them all accountable. Our government sold the middle class out…period.

Not sure how you’re getting that the government sold out the middle class. I went from being in a low income bracket in my early 20’s prior to NAFTA to climbing into the middle class after NAFTA. It’s all a matter of what you’re determined to do for yourself in life.

Both of us are correct.

1st, deal with China. Dealing with the China’s minions is much simpler. Just cut them off, they don’t matter. I am not one who was opposed to NAFTA. 3 countries in a deal where much trade is done across borders ain’t bad. Depending on the deal. Trump does have a point here, the deal does need to be improved for the US. Why should Canada be able to block US dairy products with 200% + tariffs?

The TPP dealt with those dairy tariffs.

Yes and no.

Trade deals make up a small percentage of harm to the middle class.

An inability to adapt harmed part of the middle and lower class.

Allowing yourselves to be misinformed and hyper partisanship has done way more damage.

so? too many countries involved. too much potential to be stuck in a deal that either is bad or turns bad because it involves too many parts.

I am not a fan of it. But American dairy farmers have asked for supply side management to.

TPP actually was reducing that protection.

It is not just protection from imports Canadians are also at the mercy of the dairy industry. For example my company gives me a 10 percent discount on products I buy from their corporate stores. With a few exceptions one being dairy

China supplies and does more business. You should be dealing with an the Asian block.

The problem was dealt with. The TPP was imperfect, but it would be really useful in trade negotiations with China if the US was at the head of a very large trade treaty designed specifically to control trade rules on the Pacific Rim.

The failure of the administration to immediately have a new option to put on the table is their failure and their failure alone.

Now… we have a trade war that is going to have the effect of causing economic pain to people and we will be lucky if we get back to where we started.

We’ll have to disagree. China is all that matters in this case, bit players are irrelevant and have no leverage to deal with us.

Yep all the US did was allow China to be the big dog when negotiating with everyone else.

TPP was too big and as a result too unwieldy. China should be dealt with individually. The chance that China could use TPP the same way would put us at a further disadvantage.