Changes to Address the Problems Exposed by George Floyd's Murder

Let’s get back on topic please.

The changes going on.

I know. But remember there are changes going on on both sides. I doubt he would be happy with the current conduct of the nation he fought so hard for.

We’ll have a much better picture six months from now. My eternal optimism is not always warranted, but I think we are onto something here. A seismic shift in race relations.

The political class will be better off, the people probably not.

It’s not racism. Race relations are not the problem. As long as we keep pretending it is, we’re not going to get anywhere.

And there is a very real possibility we have taught the child (rioters and looters) that all they have to do is throw a tantrum and they get what they want.

I am all for protesting. Civil disobedience. I don’t even have a real problem with toppling the statues in public spaces, although it extremely dangerous.

But that’s not all that happened.

You sit at the lunch counter, you don’t steal the drugs and set the Walgreen’s on fire.

1 Like

We’ve had a seismic shift in race relations in the wrong direction beginning in 2008-09 when democrats said the only thin that could prevent Obama from getting the nomination was racists in the party.

It’s gone downhill fast since.

It will take decades to recover.

The dynamic between blacks and police is ■■■■■■ up. Whether racism is behind it or not, it’s a huge part of the problem and it is changing, and that, will change everything.

The dynamic between citizens and police is screwed up.

They will do it to you and me too.

2 Likes

Examine the stat’s on black Felony crime, resisting arrest, and how they choose to interact with police.

When you commit violent felonies at 4-7x higher rates than whites you’re going to get a felony response at much higher rates.

When you cop an attitude when justifiably pulled over, it’s always going to get worse.

When you resist arrest with force, you will always lose in the end even if you score a temporary win like Rayshard Brooks.

Is there a problem overall with policing today? Several, but it isn’t racial, whites get far more abuse from cops than anyone else and are far more likely to get shot by them.

1 Like

Why are police still handing out ticket for jaywalking.

But it’s not automatic.

Because it’s dangerous and it’s illegal.

Virtually nothing in law enforcement is “automatic”.

You think it is with black people?

It’s about the power trip. Some cops see theirselves as being above other citizens. Color of your skin isn’t the big issue. It’s certainly an issue, but it’s not the central issue.

The issue is that we assign a lot of power and authority to the police. They’re human beings, susceptible to all of the temptations that humans are known for. Some of them become drunk with power.

It’s like Bukanin said. You give the most ideologically pure revolutionary (or in this case a cop) that sort of power and they’ll end up being worse than the Tsar they overthrew. Same thing applies here.

2 Likes

I disagree. When they have that uniform on, they all do. Whether it is intentional or not.

It’s one of the things that happens with uniforms and badges and Bat belts.

I think a few resist the urge. There’s some really good cops out there.

But you’re right. Just the symbol of ultimate authority, the police fatigues and the uniform, dictates how these encounters start. The threat is always present.

1 Like

Right? And do they think that EMS is going to make runs into high crime areas without po-leece protection? Guess again.

1 Like

So this happened today.

What this article doesn’t mention that I saw elsewhere is that the perpetrators where yelling “Black Lives Matter, Bitch”, while they were beating him.

Do I believe they are affiliated with BLM? No.

This is part and parcel of “mobilizing the masses”. The problem with slogans and inflammatory rhetoric. With the “victory”. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if these young punks have the impression they can do anything they want without repercussions because of recent events. They have no context.

Unfortunately eventually they will run across a wolf and there will be yet another tragedy. Or they will end up in prison. All because nobody sat them down and explained things to them.

It is a self-perpetuating vicious cycle.

3 Likes