Change My Mind - Abolish IRS, Establish Fair Tax

:roll_eyes:

Baloney! Our State Governors and State Legislators are not now sending money to our federal government, as they would have to do under the Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment.

You are absolutely correct. In fact, the alleged FairTax would create two new tax collecting agencies, the “Excise Tax Bureau” and the “Sales Tax Bureau", in addition to keeping the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms alive which would also be collecting federal taxes.

And why create a new “Excise Tax Bureau”? Seems to me It would be collecting all those excise taxes calculated from “incomes” which Congress dreams up, such as the Corporate Excise Tax of 1909, See Flint v. Stone Tracy Co., 220 U.S. 107 (1911) in which the Supreme Court confirmed Congress had power to lay and collect a tax calculated from profits and gains (income) without having to apportion the tax. And it did so before the 16th Amendment was adopted.

So, in reality, although the IRS would be closed down, its Agents would move into the new Excise Tax Bureau and inflict the same miseries we now experience from countless federal taxes calculated from “incomes” which Congress may dream up.

1 Like

Not the same but not that much different either. You just want to claim a difference. You didn’t think this through. Federal government raising taxes to pay for their out of control spending is no different then it is now accept the states will collect it instead of the IRS. Wow I am so glad we made that huge change now I pay the state instead of the feds🙄. So what if the states complain. What can they fo about it. Your way obligated them too.

And yours would need a collection agency also.

According to you.

Did you miss what I wrote HERE?

That’s going to be a given.

Our current income tax started out as essentially a flat tax on only the richest. Look what it has grown to today.

I can see the sales tax approach also getting complicated. Even today, from state to state, different things get taxed or get exempted. I would expect to see states align their sales tax structures to parallel whatever federal taxes.

I don’t like the rebate idea. I would rather see essentials get exempted if this were to go into effect. That would remove the regressiveness of the sales tax. But you can bet that the political wrangling (over what is “essential” and what other targeted items should also be exempted) will never end. And we would likely see tiers of tax rates, with items deemed “luxury” being taxed at higher rates than standard items. And I’ll bet I’m only scratching the surface of special ideas that politicians would come up with.

1 Like

No I responded to it.

You think that is game changing is halarious.

BOHICA! :+1:

Once again we are talking about our constitution’s original tax plan as it was intended to operate by our founders.

As to a collection agency, in 1789 our First Congress created our first tax collecting agency under the Customs Administration.

And what troubles me is, alleged “conservatives” are promoting the fraudulent and deceptive FairTax Act.

Who cares? It is basically the same thing we have now except the feds send a bill to the states and they collect it. Distinction without a difference. If you could show a difference that was meaningful you would have by now.

:roll_eyes:

According to you. And, I already did.

I don’t see anyone else on here defending your plan.

And no all you showed was a way to change the players but they do the same thing. States vrs Feds collecting it. Distinction without a difference.

I guess you missed that very real moment of accountability I expounded upon HERE which is created under the Founders apportioned tax used to extinguish a deficiency from imposts, duties and excise taxes.

Oh look I can repeat myself also.

You want to repeat yourself again?

1 Like

I know. And do so with being dismissive and mock what has been posted.

Post something different. You post a wall of stuff but can’t defend it. You just post the same stuff over and over in defense. And your defense is something that is literally the same accept a different agency collects the money.

This:

If basic necessities were exempted I think it would solve a lot of the criticisms.

1 Like

Getting back to the subject of the thread, why are Freedom Caucus members supporting the FairTax Act which creates a new 23 % tax one consumption and “taxable property”, and keeps Congress’ power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other “incomes” intact?

I get the impression they may be total nitwits and have not studied the text of the FairTax Act, or perhaps they are really in favor of enlarging the iron fist of our federal governments taxing authority.

It simply makes no sense for a “conservative” to support the fraudulent and deceptive FairTax Act.

JWK

“…a national revenue must be obtained; but the system must be such a one, that, while it secures the object of revenue it shall not be oppressive to our constituents.”___ ___Madison, during the creation of our Nation’s first revenue raising Act

What now? No. That’s not how math works. You are taxed on the gains.

Want to try again?