CDC Will Collect Personal Data On Vaccine Recipients, Raising Privacy Concerns

The federal government has everything from my fingerprints to my DNA sequence on file, so I’m not really affected by this idea.

Did they do this for H1N1 also, or is this a new thing?

Why the need to track people’s movement?

Given that this is a 2-dose vaccine, and given the concerns that half-vaccinated people could become sources for a virus mutation that would become resistant to the vaccine, I can understand the efforts to make sure recipients get both doses. It has to be all-or-nothing.

We previously had a thread that discussed connecting stimulus payments to full vaccinations. That’s a method more rooted in liberty and personal choice than in government force.

Funny you mention that. I saw someone criticize Americans for not seeing that as coercion.

I was trying to make the distinction between “you-must-do” and “your-choice”.

A $1200 or $1500 payment IF you do it is a matter of choice. It could be called a bribe.

I see an inter-connected continuum from choice to persuasion to bribe.

People can split hairs, but to me, coercion involves force. A stimulus check ties to completion of the vaccine set isn’t force. It’s a choice.

1 Like

mRNA isn’t a virus that can mutate.

It isn’t a virus.

1 Like

That’s done at the state level, not the Federal Level.

I’m not seeing anything about tracking our movements but “especially people who cross state lines” indicates that’s going to be necessary and it is somewhat disturbing.

There’s no reason for the Fed’s to gather our personal data, just the raw data on vaccinated numbers.

1 Like

mRNA isn’t a virus, it’s Mitochondrial RNA.

The human mitochondrial transcriptome - PMC).

All viruses can mutate.

Even an mRNA virus can mutate locking in on different receptors.

There’s another reason to discourage being vaccinated.

1 Like

That’s the point.

1 Like

Of course there is going to be a need to track those who have had the vaccine. Common sense dictates that. Kinda sucky for the privacy folks out there, but this is a pandemic.

It is what it is.

1 Like

Is it a common practice?

For something like this? Of course. Basic epidemiology and public health processes. Nice thing is, you are still protected by HIPAA, they can’t share it with any other agency. Let the CDC do their job so we can get back to doing ours.

1 Like

As you may already know, I was in Baghdad during the last pandemic, so I’m not aware if they did the same with that.

By the way, I never stopped doing my jobs. I doubt the CDC is depending on me.

And I am still doing mine. I was speaking in generalities, as you probably surmised.

The CDC did a much better job with H1N1 in 2009. Here is a summary of the speed in which they acted, it was quite striking in contrast to our current pandemic…

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/cdcresponse.htm

They led the way, the world relied on us for the first DNA sequence, the first PCR test and strategies for treatment a full 6-7 weeks before the pandemic was even declared by the WHO. They developed the vaccine as well. All in a few months time.

Really impressive stuff.

The world also relied on me and the other guinea pigs in Baghdad for the right vaccine.

Did they put everyone in a database who received the vaccine then?

1 Like

Perhaps, but if they did no one will ever see it. HIPAA. Maybe demographics but not personal details like names.

So they didn’t track people’s movement between states either?

1 Like

Right. “Something like this” is not a common occurrence, so anything about it is likely not to be a common practice.

2 Likes

COVID-19, like any virus, can mutate.