CDC: “Racism is a Health Crisis”

I’m not arguing with the data, but there’s a world of difference between socio-economic status creating negative health outcomes versus declaring it was caused by deliberate racism - especially in Vermont. Vermont has a state income tax, Medicaid administration, and public assistance rolls. A more effective approach would have identified citizens based on documented poverty levels or financial need, and those people are the the ones most likely to be working jobs that put them at higher risk than those fortunate enough to work from home.

What they and many are preaching whether they think so or not is that different races don’t coexist at best and at worse it would be a better place if those deplorable white people were not around.

What one side hears as social justice the other half hears only division and race baiting. It has been a dangerous game they are playing which in past history doesn’t work out very good for a country with different ethnic groups and religions.

4 Likes

Deliberate racism is greatly decreased in this country, no doubt about it, but how did inner city slums come to be in the first place? Racism played a significant role fifty, sixty, seventy years ago and people are still feeling the fallout from that, partly with poorer health outcomes with some roots in socio-economic conditions. It’s easy to say they should just leave, much more complicated in practice.

What has working from home to do with the health problems the quoted poster mentioned, heart disease, diabetes, asthma, obesity, hypertension? If anything working from home would make them more prone to these problems, thus more prone to a poor outcome from COVID 19.

If company enforced safety standards like a distance from fellow employees and mask requirements are so great, why should working from home even be an option, unless it’s a corporate decision to reduce its operating costs and certain jobs, like telecommunications and customer service, are actually doable from home?

Having conversed with a state official, working from home if anything has been worse for performance of her job.

Less chance of exposure, for one.

When family returns from various venues? Ir, if single, one leaves for such errands as grocery shopping?

I don’t think so. The whole hide in the basement and peek out the blinds every so often option is, if anything, opening the doors for risk factors like obesity and inflammation that open the door for viruses. It’s unnatural for the human body to remain sedentary.

I don’t disagree with that. That said, the most maddening factor with this virus is the unpredictability of its effects. Both of my siblings were absolutely hammered by it, both with cardiac complications. My sister is in fantastic shape and could be a personal trainer if she so desired. My brother? Not in the least, with identical complications. I was fortunate to work from home, didn’t risk potential exposure because this virus hits my family genetics severely.

You’re absolutely correct. There is a world of difference between the two. Socioeconomic status is a confounder - among many, like smoking, alcohol use, etc - that is controlled for when determining health outcomes along racial lines. It’s the most obvious confounder, I’d say, when computing that sort of data.

Our choices in life…the ones we each personally make…on a daily basis…have more to do with our personal outcomes…than any other factor…by a longshot. Stop pointing fingers and look in the mirror. If there’s a problem, you’ll be facing it head on. Now let’s get started making good choices.

2 Likes

Reruns of the fresh prince of bel air.

Allan

Ignorance is a health crisis. (not directed at anyone in particular)

ie those refusing to get the Covid vaccine.

Is this similar to gay teens having higher rates of depression and suicide?

I would say no, it’s not similar in the way I’m looking at it.

Gay teens committing suicide at a higher rate has a lot to do with the fact that society at large, for a long time, has not been accepting of their lifestyle.

They are bullied at a higher rate, not accepted, and as such I would postulate that they suffer from depression at a higher rate.

This problem has human caused roots, and as such you could argue that discrimination does play a role in their higher suicide rates. What percentage that plays out to be, I have no idea. And thankfully this is slowly changing.

On the other hand, a racial group being more, or less, susceptible to a disease has no roots in being caused by other people. It’s just genetics.

Now racial groups being shown to receive different levels of care for a disease could have racial aspects to it, if it could be shown that different racial groups were being denied care in favor of other racial groups.

But that’s not going on here.

haven’t you heard. failed infrastructure is racist too.

Well would you look at that! RT strikes again.

its news, you seem to have a problem with it being reported. please, name one news source that reports on us news that hasn’t reported on the cdc’s announcement.

Same slant as here.

so what? if an idiot says racism is a health crisis lots of people will see the idiocy in the statement. even those who don’t support each other.

Look a little deeper. She was talking about disparities in health care. They exist.AMA: Racism is a threat to public health
The AMA agrees.

Feel the same way about the BBC? Israel? China?