CDC confirm the first case of the new human to human virus in America

What if I’ve already learned it?

You’ll be ahead of the curve.

Other than the final lab practical that was the toughest part of Micro 1

1 Like

Not panicking, but 2% of 300 million is 6 million, not 21,000.

140 million out of 7 billion.

The fact that we know little about this one and it’s already here is the part where I hope someone is panicking and developing a vaccine.

I envy you this. I would kill just to be able to sit there.

1 Like

I’d managed to erase that period from my memory. Idiots were going crazy, cable news and tabloids fanning the flames sure as ■■■■ didn’t help.

Hopefully they learned a less… :laughing:. Nevermind.

1 Like

Your latter figure is bordering on hysteria. The most virulent illness doesn’t come close to infecting 100% of the population.

And the person who cited 21,000 started with 1 million infected, not 300 million.

We have no idea if 300 million will become infected by this.

1 Like

I was just considering Americans with the 300 million figure. You brought up the Spanish flu which infected 500 million. As I said, I’m not panicking, but it’d be nice if the vaccine or whatever means to fight this virus was discovered before it jumped borders.

So is this how the zombie apocalypse starts

1 Like

Nobody reads anymore? The 21,000 number was the number of people in the US who died of influenza in calendar year 2019. I posted it.

It’s a new virus…getting a vaccine for it takes time, so the odds of finding one before it jumps borders is slim to none.

We still don’t have one for SARS. Luckily it does not seem to be as contagious. This coronavirus, unfortunately, is.

One thing that has to happen…world has to start holding China to account and get them to work with us better.

Whether they like it or not, most new viruses are going to emanate from that country…mostly because of the large population and also, quite frankly, unsanitary practices with animals.

If this is a Spanish Flu-like virus, their lumbering bureaucracy will have doomed a lot of people to, at best, a very unpleasant time.

And even if this peters out like SARS, one day one will come along that won’t peter out.

They’ve got to get better at getting quicker at jumping on this stuff when it happens.

The Chines Government has their heads in the sand when it comes to diseases like this. They don’t want to accept responsibility for their poverty and the impoverished nature that breeds these diseases. They don’t want the Chinese people to know that their government isn’t going to lift a finger to take care of them.

Thus is the way things are in a communist regime. Look the other way while the world yells…“Hey China, what are you going to do about yet another disease coming out of your borders”?

1 Like

I read your post, this isn’t the flu.

We don’t know what this is yet.

My sentiments exactly.

Latest update…555 confirmed cases in five countries…17 deaths.

3% confirmed fatality rate.

FoxNews reported an NIH official said they are in the “early stages” of developing a vaccine, but who knows what that means?

Edited to add…almost all of the deaths (Fox had 17, CNN has 9) are people who were vulnerable (elderly or immunocompromised somehow). SARS OTOH had a ten percent mortality rate and the deaths were not limited to the vulnerable.

Then you didn’t read my post. I never said this is the flu.

It’s a Coronavirus. China shared their research on it.

I never said you did. You brought up the flu, I just said this wasn’t the flu.

I wasn’t thinking of it in terms of “flu” being the name of the virus.

I was thinking of it in terms of severity, contagiousness, etc…as flu the disease v this disease.

OK…I get what you were saying now.
I look at it this way. It will take the rest of this week for officials to get a handle on this. To start quarantining people in China, perhaps the US should pull their head out of the impeachment fiasco for enough time to say we are closing air traffic to all Chinese flights or flights originating or passing through Chinese airports.

Get out ahead of this. If the Chinese government and those of nations where this is starting to take root do the right things and quarantine patients and keep them from traveling even between cities, they could limit the damage done.

however, if the world buries their heads in the sand. Like anything else it will get out of control.

1 Like