CBO Projects $3.7 Trillion Deficit

No, Trump is not to blame for the pandemic but her owns his reaction. Time will tell if he has acted wisely.

You understand how time works don’t you? What Obama was hit with was the worst since the depression at that time. Now of course this is way worse.

And no, not trumps fault. But his handling of the crisis sure is.

Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Let’s examine a few things. #1. Spending originates in the House. #2. Congress borrows money, not the President.
With that in focus, let’s look at some spending habits in the past 30 years.
Democrats have held the house 10 years out of 30. Republicans, 20 out of 30. (From 1990 to 2019)

During that span, the following trends have happened.
1991-1994 Democrat - On budget deficits went from $221B to $290B and back to $203B.
1995-2006 Republican - On budget deficits started at $203 Billion, went to a surplus of $236 Billion in 2000 and after 9/11, they jumped back to $412 Billion, making it back to $248 at the end of 2006.
2007-2010 Democrat - On budget deficits started out at $160 Billion, and went to $458 the following year, the start of the 2008 financial crisis. In 2009, it hit $1.41 Trillion and they left power with a $1.29 Trillion deficit.
2011 - 2018 Republican - On budget deficits went from $1.29 Trillion, all the way down to $441 Billion in 2015 and started climbing again, hitting $779 Billion in 2018.
2019-2020 (estimate, not including virus spending) Democrats took over with a $779B deficit and it’s gone to $1.08 Trillion so far. That’s during a healthy economy folks and I’m extremely annoyed at Republican behavior from 2016 to 2018.

While I’m not pleased with Republican performance regarding the budget, it’s very clear that putting Democrats in charge of the House is a very bad idea. They have run up almost as much debt in 10 years as Republicans have run up in 20. While Republicans spend far too much money, I think the clear need for big government is reflected in the budgets Democrats put forth. Is the President blameless? Of course not, he signs the budgets. The Senate signs them and packs them with pork too but spending is required to originate in the House so let’s not forget that when trying to throw presidents the full blame or credit for the debt.

Some of us actually remember Clinton lecturing us on how we were going to starve people out because the budget wasn’t big enough. I don’t give a guy like that credit for reducing the deficit. Interestingly enough, if you look at the addition to national debt, not just on budget deficits, and look at 2/3 control (between the House, Senate & Presidency), you will find similar trends. It’s the lazy person that just puts the President in there and claims he’s to blame.

Just curious. What exactly would you have done differently?

Probably. We are very likely going to have to raise taxes.

Yeah.

Does it matter? Look at the posts.

It doesn’t matter. A month ago you © screaming at him. A month from now you will be screaming at him.

The deficit is the inevitable result of the action you, especially you, demanded.

1 Like

On what?

The most important thing right now is to develop a robust national test and track program.

Beyond that there should be national guidelines for lockdowns instead of a patchwork.

Early on he should have been more closely involved with being certain testing was ramping and he should have intensified his travel bans.

We know as early as late December his advisors were concerned about this virus and really we did very little to prepare. And that is on him.

Add another trillion to the debt? Why?

Having a coordinated Federal response so the States wouldn’t have to compete for scarce supplies would be a good start.

They would still be competing with a different deciding factor.

1 Like

Yeah, a bigger cookie cutter. Part of the problem now is Wyoming is using NYC guidelines.

1 Like

No, we can just shower him with praise when he miraculously cuts the deficit in half or more next year, that’s how it worked for Obama.

There is no way that Trump would cut an increased deficit that the GOP created.

So what’s the national guidline? Will it be what’s best for large over croweded cities, or what’s best for the rural areas?

If the guidline is between the two – will smaller area’s be able to be less restricted? Will the larger area’s be able to be more restrictive?

What more could be done? As soon as China released the information needed to start working on a vaccine, the US started. When money was starting to get low in the funds, Trump asked congress for funds to continue.

Link to this? There is articles that intellegence was giving concerns – even though those who gave brieifings say the reports were wrong.

They bleated because he didn’t do anything, down played it, slow-rolled it. Now they’re bleating because it costs a ton of money to do what they screamed at him to do all along.

Paid sick leave. Paid by whom? The company! The COMPANY IS ■■■■■■■ CLOSED BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT!

Raise taxes! On what? Corporations! THEY ARE CLOSED BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT!
They’re not all closed! True, the essential ones are open, are you going to increase their taxes? 3M?

FOSSIL FUELS! $25 a barrel, they’re losing money and stacking rigs.

TRUMP!!! AGGGGHHH!!!

:sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Yeah, we’ll have to disagree there. I one-size-fits-all program would require far too much control and would really screw things up. I guess I like what Trump has done, national recommendations with local control to decide what is right for each state/community. I still don’t buy into the panic of this latest health scare. I think when the numbers finally come out, we’re going to find out millions had Covid and the mortality rate will be closer to the Flu than is being reported right now.

The GOP doesn’t have the House.

What created the deficit projection?