Canada create 427,000-square-kilometre protect conservation zone in the arctic

Canada announced today the creation of a large conservation zone in the arctic aimed at protect wild life.

To protect it, Trudeau, along with Nunavut Premier Joe Savikataaq and P.J. Akeeagok, the president of the Qikiqtani Inuit Association, unveiled historic plans to create a 427,000-square-kilometre conservation area off northern Ellesmere Island at Nunavut Arctic College. Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson and Environment Minister Catherine McKenna were also in attendance.

The allocated area is larger than Newfoundland and Labrador, according to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office, or almost the size of Germany, according to the World Wildlife Fund

1 Like

As time goes on, the world will have wished this would have been done by many, much earlier in our world’s history. The ocean is the world’s garden to support life and it needs to be as pristine as possible.

2 Likes

That outta help. lol

Hmmm, if you apply that philosophy to charitable giving…

Charitable giving? Like, when you give something away so someone else can do the actual helping? How quaint. :slight_smile:

Uh, yeah. For example, I donate to the Red Cross. They use my money not in my community which has no need but in a community far away. They may buy supplies, they may pay someone to work.

I don’t have the ability to drive to a Red Cross location where they are actively helping.

Do you have a problem with my donation? Are you saying I should stop donating?

How quaint! :smiley:

Protect it from what?

Who are you and what did you do with Smyrna?

Thank you for the back handed compliment. If you actually knew me, you’d know that it’s always my intent, to leave something better than I found it. It’s how I’m wired.

Help what?

1 Like

Really?

Yes, really.

Exactly.

You can’t imagine what an ocean conservation zone might be guarding against in 2019?

Good talk.

I concur.

Mind showing me why we need to guard it from drilling? How much negative impact does drilling have on ocean wildlife?

Preventing drilling in the region is only part of the plan.

Shipping lanes, folks.