Can we finally just put the whole "Militia Clause" to rest now?

Why is the right of people to keep and bear arms not to be infringed?

Now there’s a really good question Bob.

Do you want me to post quotes or cut to the chase?

Please let me know your thoughts on the matter. I’m genuinely interested.

That’s funny. Infant mortality rates aside, it was pretty rare to live to be 65 back in the 1700’s. I’m sure you knew this and it just slipped your mind though.

They had just fought an 8 year war to throw off a yoke of oppression by their own government.

They knew full well the tendency to seize power by ruling despots.

It was a long standing English right only recently taken in order to seize power there. (100 years or so)

They knew there was no way they could protect the citizens of the new country.

They knew the people would never accept being disarmed.

They knew they would need to be able to call on those citizens to defend the new republic.

Disarming a people is the first step to enslaving those people.

Just a few off the top of my head.

No need to get around it. One simply has to provide the full text of Amendment 2.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

We should follow the Constitution as written, rather than editing it to fit the fashion of the times.

What is the right?
To keep and bear arms
To whom does the right belong?
The people
And what about it?
It shall not be infringed.

I have already given you the link to the grammar lesson.

Yes, you are going to have to get around it.

A well read electorate being necessary to a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed.

Do I have to vote to own and read books?

Read the debates about Federalist push for a standing army and the status of slave patrols. If you learn the history you will understand what the 2nd Amendment meant when it was passed and how the courts chose to interpret it, until Antonin Scalia rewrote the Second Amendment in the Heller decision.

If I tell you, you won’t believe me, so you have to go learn this for yourself, if you are interested.

Start with an interesting question: why is the “right” enumerated in 2A the only one the framers of the Constitution decided to provide a justification for?

1 Like

A well read electorate being necessary to a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed.

You are telling me to research the 2nd Amendment?

Why don’t you address the reason the second has a rationale rather than inventing amendments the founders would never have considered?

One of your basic problems is you believe the right to keep and bear arms originated in the US, it didn’t.

That all makes sense as long as we don’t have a standing army.

But surely it isn’t necessary anymore.

Tell me something Bob, how is the 25th Infantry Division going to protect me and from what?

What is it that you believe you need to be protected from?

Bandits, home invaders, drug addicts, female rapists, oppressive government… the list is endless Bob.

You must live in one really crappy neighborhood. I feel perfectly safe with a couple of big dogs and I’m in NJ.

Well Bob, that’s your choice.

I don’t live in a neighborhood.

asp

Big dogs and a nasty parrot.

Nice. Are you sure that’s a parrot?

You’re a handsome guy.

1 Like

BTW, the 2A doesn’t cover your insecurities.