Can we finally just put the whole "Militia Clause" to rest now?

[Copperud:] “(5) The phrase means ‘subject to regulations of a superior authority;’ this accords with the desire of the writers for civilian control over the military.”

We don’t. They are part of “the people” who have the individual right to keep and bear arms irrespective of the Militia.

How did you get from regulating the Militia to regulating guns?

Pre-programing. :wink:

1 Like

How did you arrive at that bit of illogic? “The right of the people to keep and bear arms is an individual right irrespective of the Militia.” SCOTUS - DC vs. Heller

Did you read the post that the post I addressed was responding to? Nowhere was anything said about wanting anything.

They think nobody over 65 fought in the Revolution. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

And people over 65 aren’t “the people”.

2 Likes

Last thing we need is a bunch of grandpas flailing around with guns.

Well not nobody, but not many. (insert chuckling emoji here)

So you will pick those portions of the code you like and enforce them while ignoring those that you don’t wish to enforce.

The 2nd Amendment stands in the Constitution as a whole and it stands unique in the Bill of Rights as the only Amendment for which a justification was provided… quite deliberately so given the lively debate that led to its adoption.

If you wish to dispense with a portion fo the 2nd Amendment you have the option of proposing to amend the Constitution. The militia clause can be interpreted historically or a-historically, which is the preferred conservative view of it in recent decades. But you cannot put a piece of the Constitution to rest based on preferences.

How are you going to get around “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”?

Since I’m getting too old I’ll pass up coffee and ammo for you. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t actually wanna do Tower Guard.

Ever. :rofl:

And why is that?

Never know what the future might bring. :rofl:

Hi, welcome to the forum. Do I know you?

1787 huh? Can you tell us the inclusive years of the Revolution please? And perhaps a word or two about what you think almost a decade of war does to average life expectancy?

1 Like

No, but if the past is any indication of the future, I’m gonna set world records again. lol

And why is what Bob?

Well I hope so. I was waiting for that large rat to pop out in the barn while ago with my pellet rifle. I noticed the cross hair in my scope keep blurring out on me. Hands aren’t as steady as they once were either.

Sucks…

Not me, these are embarrassing world records. :rofl:

1 Like